$2.oo Mulch Plate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag413, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have made a very cheap mulch plate. All I did was I found an old gutter guard laying around, so I drilled one hole and bolted to the turbo baffle on the scag tiger cub and then cut the excess length off. Now I realize this is not a true mulch plate because it has holes in it, but it might work during the summer time when the grass is short and dry. I will have to be careful mowing over small sticks because it could bend the gutter guard into the rotating blades. I personally don't know how well it will work but I thought it would be worth the try. So what do you guys think?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Hope it works out for you. I would like to see some pics of it though.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I made a "mulch plate" out of a 3/4" piece of plywood for my Bob-Cat walk behind a few years ago. It didn't work woth a damn so never even bothered to use it.

4. Scag413

I'll try to get some pics up of it somtime. And procut I maybe in the same boat you are but I will say for the both of us that it never hurts to try.

5. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

Hope it works.

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck. You're going to need it!

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The mulch plate came with our Scag....free sort of....big steel cover that bolts on over the outlet?

8. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

i fabricated one in my welding class in less than 2 hours, it attatches to my metro 36" and folds up and down depending if i want to mulch or not. Only downside is it leaves a small trail of grass

9. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I think what you guys are fabricating is a form of an OCDC, which was only intended to keep clippings out of flower bed and sidewalks. They work alot better when you can open and close them when needed. This would be why it leaves a small trail of grass on the discharge side when you are cutting. A mulch kit also has some pieces of metal enclosing each blade, forming a type of deck inside of a deck so to speek for each blade. But hope it works good for ya.

10. Scag413

Sorry fellas I forget to get some pics this week!