2 or 4 cycle toro 21"???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Sep 18, 2003.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I need another push mower for next year. I know they are discontinuing the 2 cycle Suzuki engine. My dealer still has a few of the 2 cycles. I can't decide on the 2 cycle or the 4. Which is the better mower? Will parts still be easily accessible on the discontinued model? One more question. How many of you guys use bbc, my current mower has it. Is it a pain when bagging if the mower is not bbc?

thanks guys

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

What parts would you need for the 2 cycle. It is simple and will last. I would get a another 2 cycle. As for the BBC I don't have but wish I did at times so get it if you are going to bag.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

BBC is an essential feature, IMO. Definitely worth the extra $$. I opted for the BBC and the 2-stroke engine on my machine.

The 4 cycle does have a lift handle, but it doesn't have a large fuel tank.

toro2stroke.jpg

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

i agree 2 stroke bbc

- as far as parts are concerned federal law requires manufactures to keep parts for 10 years after a unit is last produced that makes parts a non issue

5. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like most people prefer the 2 cycle with the bbc. I called around and none of the dealers around have any 2 cycles with the bbc. If i am used to letting the mower run while changing the bag will the 2 cycle no bbc give me a headache. Or would you guys get the new 4 cycle with bbc?

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I would keep looking for a 2 stroke w/BBC, but the Kawasaki 4 cycle is still a great engine. Just requires more maintenance.

7. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I saw a guy mowing with the kawasaki the other day in high grass and it seemed loud and to be dogging a bit. I have yet to have this issue with my 2-cycle. I like the bbc, but it does make the bar to drive forward have a lot more tension on it, giving a touch of hand fatigue after a while (nothing major). I am still trying to think of a good way to change the bbc to a front mounted lever so the bar only engaged the drive system. Speaking of that, my drive system rattles a bit when engaged. Anyone else have that issue. Oh, and the non-bbc can just be velcroed so that it does not shut off when you stop, but you do run the risk of a moving blade even though the shoot closes when you remove the bag.

8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

My old pro-line does'nt have bbc and does'nt shut off when released. My JD has the kawa and it is preety loud I have had coments from customers about how loud it is, but not the 2-cycle. They both seem to have good power though I just like to use the 2-cycle because I don't have to worry about maintaning it and it does not have the blade control to worry about. And the drive belt seems to last longer with out stretching.