2 or 4 cycle trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by birddseedd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I do a lot of pond trimming, wet areas you can't get a mower on, ditch banks,and so on. Its not uncommon for me to have a 1,000-3,000 sq ft area where I can't get a mower on. And yes I prefer to have the guard off. I don't run 2ft, but like 18ft to 20inches. Its a ton easier to do large areas while keeping it even as a reguar mower. Personally I don't care about trimmer weight to an extent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

that sounds very wet and tedious

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's a rural clay covered Southern MI spring for you.

4. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

tell me about it. i end up with a pond in front of my yard every time it rains

5. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I like it .I have RC Airplanes that are Electric and are more fun to fly as they more power full but the run time is less than a gas airplane.

6. Kaioh

Kaioh LawnSite Member

Well I strongly recommend 2 stroke for commercial use just make sure it commercial grade, most of time up to 1.2hp or higher, also 2 stroke is quicker and faster on yard compare to 4 stroke hybrid and straight 4 stroke, plus easier to maintenance too.

4 stroke hybrids is OK for commercial but not the best but can run upside down like 2 stroke and does have alot low end torque but mid and high end is not any better due lack of rpm and speed, and throttle is slow, it have weakness. 2 stroke still better

Straight 4 stroke I never use it but cannot run upside down due compression and oil pan. I wouldn't recommend this 4 stroke for commercial if use it for edge, get trimmer above your height.

2 stroke win hand down for me.

It everyone opinion, it depend what trimmer u looking for and what are u going to use it for...

7. Kaioh

Kaioh LawnSite Member

Well not always,but most of time.
    Well have u try ultra fully synthetic 2 stroke oil like stihl and other brand?

8. Kaioh

Kaioh LawnSite Member

Well if you take good care of it then yea.

9. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Bronze Member

You can run Honda 4 strokes or the Husky 4 strokes with Honda motors upside down because they use pressurized oil systems. I have used them for years including hundreds of hours of edging and not a puff of smoke or burn any more oil than expected.

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

Same goes for some dolmars. You can run all of them upside down, just can't for more than a couple of min. They do have a couple of models that are 360 rotation. I had over 3000 hrs on my first 4 stroke trimmer. That says something.

13Razorbackfan likes this.