2 or 4 cycle trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by birddseedd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Off the subject--back in my early 20's (about 100 years ago, more or less), the Oliver Tractor Co., had a farm tractor with that GM 2-stroke diesel--I think the model # was 1950 (not year--model). I drove one for my wife's uncle for a summer--it was awsome. Loved the sound--totally different than any other farm tractor I know of, and man it could pull!!!! Could hear it a mile away
    !

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Those engines are where we stole our superchargers for serious hot rods. Nothing like a 6-71with a 3" belt drive, duel double pumps or Hilborn injectors if you really had money back then. I need a new project.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

As I recall, this one was a V-8--very unusual for a farm tractor from the factory. Just guessing, it's still around the farm back in Texas, grown up in weeds/trees--hmmm, wander what size mower deck it would handle!!!!

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

There are many issues with the 4 cycle trimmers and I am sure the reviews you read give you some insight. There isn't one 4 cycle trimmer that I would recommend. What I would recommend is an Echo Straight shaft trimmer from a dealer. Good warranty, good machine:waving:

5. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

yea. i agree. too bad someone stole mine. i decided to go with the 225 rather than the 230. it was near 100 bucks more and only gave me 15% more power. if i was doing heavy stuff, ltos of tall thick weeds and what not that extra 15% might make a difference, but only doing clean grass on edges; most of the time im not even giving it full throttle. so it did not seem like i would actualy get any use out of the extra investment.

i am a bit worried. my last echo started on teh first pull. this one didnt. tho i forgot the choke. maybe tomorow itl work better.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If all you were seeing between the 225 and the 230 was "15% more power" then you were not seeing the whole picture. Two totally different engines.. what does your 225 show on the label for emissions regulations, does it say 50 hour compliance, or 300 hour?

7. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

well. i wont claim that the specific dealer i got it from knows what they are talking about. what all difference is there?

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

All echo engines are 300 hour. The 230 has a considerable bump in power. But the 225 should serve you well. More power than most homeowners will need.

As to having yours stolen, sorry to hear that, but welcome to the world of pro landscapers. You gotta keep em under lock and key. Even in million dollar neighborhoods.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really that much, the 230 has better power than the specs imply. My 230 was kinda tough to start, either it fired in two pulls, or it flooded.

That little 21cc engine in the 225 is Echos workhorse engine. They use it on handheld blowers (underpowered ), hedge trimmers (the industry standard for years), I think it is among the best $200 trimmers available.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The new 225 engine, on both the GT-225 and SRM-225 are not a 300 hour engine per the rating, they are EPA rated at 50 hours.