1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 Part thread:521 and Splicing off a wire

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Ok guys, sadly I have no pictures for you @ the moment because I forgot my camera today...

My goal is to get a main and wire next to a wall that will in-turn feed my drip zone that will be installed tomorrow.A few snags were hit in the process.Most I could recover from.

My first question is about the 521 locater..First off How best do you calibrate it..Today I read the instructions but couldn't seem to get it right or I put the sensor on the handset way to sensitive...I am going off a orange wire on a 7 strand that is a feed for a remote box. The location of the wire was found after some quick and easy digging/tracing...My major problem was not being able to get a certain pinpoint on the wire.. The setting on the wire Battery part was @ 4-5 during the day...

The second part of this thread asks what is the best way to come off a wire that has no slack in the ground?I found the wire and the main for my soon to be drip zone..How would you pros Properly come off it electrically? The reason why I am going to these lengths is due to the HORRIBLE DIGGING this job has.The amount of roots and rocks in this ground makes me want to call in tomorrow...Alas with my boss away, I have to install this system solo..So is the best way to come off this wire to splice it on each side about a foot apart, King nut the present connections jumping my new wire off the orange and common strands going roughly 5 feet to my new valve reducer filter ect?

It is possible I am not explaining this section of my thread right..I am very tired and sore from work today...

Thanks in advance

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I can answer your second question.

Cut out 1' of the wire and splice (with good waterproof splices, I prefer the 3M DBY's or GelCaps) in a 2-3' scrap. One one side or another, splice in your new wire and run it to your valve. What you don't want is a lot of tension on the splice, so use a long scrap.

This is the same techniques the phone and cable co use to splice a cable drop.

I like to stick a 6' Round Valve box over each splice so it can be found at a later date, should things go south.

3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

try to get the signal on the locator to around 6 or 7. if it's a long run and you're losing tone, bump it up higher. problem with that is, if you have a lot of buried utilities, you'll get a lot of interference. then just follow the void

as far as splicing, dig the wire back far enough, splice in a jumper and you should be good.

i would heavily recommend DBY's. more costly, but much more reliable.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Jon-Thats 100% what I was going to do..It's good to have a nice positive reinforcement backing my original idea...

PG-By saying "get the signal on the locator around 6-7, What do you exactally mean? What setting to you like to have inside the box on the battery.From what my old hoss use to say four to start and then a 5...My problem with this aspect of the locator is tweeking it to get it spot on...
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Uhhh, why cut the original wire twice? That is, if you want all the splices to fit in one small box.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You don't. You use two boxes.

If you don't cut the wire twice, you end up with a lot of tension on the splice, and eventually it may fail. Plus, you'll never get a DBY connector on it.
  7. Without A Drought

rotor, what i mean is this.
    get all set up with the clips, take the dial in the box and put it on battery test. turn it on, making sure the battery is good, then turn the dial so the needle reads somewhere around 5 or 6. start locating. if you have a general idea of the wire path and kind of where the VB is, this should be strong enough. if you're on the other side of the house and it's a long wire run, you'll need a strong signal from the locator, so turn the dial in the box up to a reading of 7 or 8. if you max out the dial and can't get a good signal on the needle, usually you're ground is not good.

as far as the splice, what Jon "drew" was what i had in mind. although i ususally won't do the 2 econo boxes, just seems like a waste, and rather unsightly, all for a single wire splice.

8. Without A Drought

I just looked again at the picture. i don't remove a section of the original wire. that's what i meant by a jumper. same as the picture, but i only cut the wire once, and install a loop of new wire between the 2 cut ends.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

Thanks for the responses drought....I will try that way of doing it..

Now when you say between 5-6 you must mean on the handset..I will try this today and let you all know how it goes..

10. Eddie the 521 is a style thing. Do the same run several ways and find the style that works best for you. I crank the box as high as I can get it and do my tweeking with the wand.