2 people 2 hours for $40

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, Apr 1, 2006.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I drove by one of my houses and somebody else was working on the yard doing a cleanup. I was pissed. I waited a few days and then called her and she told me that they were so cheap that she was giving them a try. She said that she paid them more then what they asked for because she felt sorry for them and I will still be mowing the yard. Even weirder is that they drove from an hour away to get there. I think they were trying to get a toehold in this high priced neighborhood.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well at least she realized $10 per man hour is too low...

So she hired them because they were cheap...then wants to pay them more? Not very logical :laugh:

3. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Talk about a Lowballer.... That sucks. :cry:

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't understand people like this. If she needed a cleanup, why call someone else? She still wants you to do the mowing, but won't let you do the other work? That bothers me a lot when people do things like that to me, and I think I might have to explain to her how much it bothers me. I am loyal to my customers, and will sometimes go an extra mile for them, but I expect the same loyalty back.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would find the guys and hire them myself at those prices

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The last time I went out to go do something which had been agreed on, upon my arrival some cutie-pie was sitting in the driveway all smug-faced with the work already done. Evidently, he was driving up and down the street and stopping by these houses offering to do work he saw needed doing at cut-throat prices...

Of course, the fact that my customer sold out from under me didn't exactly sit well, either.

I billed my customer 30 dollars for that luxury thou it all went by without me saying a word to anybody, I just slid the 30 in there someplace over time, but get it I did. Later that year, evidently the guy come around again (at least this time he didn't take any pre-agreed upon work) and spoke of this and that needed doing and again gave a ridiculous low price (less than 30% my rate)... Well, my customer paid the guy upfront and never saw him again.

lalala...

But if I see him again, this is one time I will turn someone over to the appropriate department. It's one thing to low-ball, it's quite another to go driving up and down the street looking for work to steal... Granted, I am sure that was not his intention but let it be a warning to anyone out there thinks of this riding down the street tactic. Now if you're putting out flyers, that's different because they still have to call you, and this I can deal with.