1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 Permagreen Transmissions Shot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I had a friend of mine just call me and tell me that BOTH of his Magnum transmissions are shot. He has a hole rotted right through the top of one, and he took the second one off and found the same thing happening on the second...the bearings are shot on the second. I think this has been touched on before, but I am thinking it is in our best interest to remove the plast covering over the casing that is supposed to protect the case. This does nothing but hold that stuff and dust, then, as soon as moisture gets in, that's all she wrote. Now, those who use the PG carriers are even more prone to this, because if you get caught in the rain, there's ALOT of mist going up underneath there. He was wondering what MY take on the best thing to do for that, and what I suggested was the first thing he needs to do with these new trannys ($740 apiece) is to take them up to a rustproofing place, or a spray on bedliner place. They would probably do them for about 30 bucks apiece. Anyway, this is just a heads up. One of his machines is 1 year old, and the other is 2 years old. Not a great idea on the designing end.
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The trans cases have been a problem with the PG's since they came out. We've used spray on undercoating on them and they'll last a little longer. We're going to try truck bed liner this winter when we rebuild the transmissions on the Centris and Ultras. I've found a place online that sells cases and parts, so it's just a matter of swapping the guts.
    NOTE: Do remove that plastic bag they put on the trans from the factory, it does NOTHING to prolong the life of the unit!
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So aluminum and fertilizer don't mix.

Wonder if there is an alloy that is more resistant?

Or if they can epoxy coat all cast aluminum housings prior to building them?
  4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting scared. About a month ago, my tech. showed me oil all over the frame of our Magnum. He had checked the oil levels, which were fine, and he is actually pretty meticulous (sp.) about cleaning it, service intervals, etc... We cleaned up the oil, let it sit overnight and found no oil in the morning. I told him to keep an eye on it, which he has and knock on wood, nothing yet. But I'm wondering if this is a precursor to the same problem. Ours was new April 2nd this spring and has about 400 hours on it. It does ride on a carrier. I guess the only upside is that it's not April 20 something, and it's a good time to check it out more thoroughly over the winter.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Forever Green,
    So in your opinion, have the casing open - without the bag, and being able to blow it off and/or clean it would not be as beneficial as leaving the plastic on? It seems as if that is a rather large contributor to the problem. I am thinking the bedliner/rustproofing would be beneficial. Another thing to consider, would be if we wrapped them ourselves afterward. I would think the material to use would be that real tough clingy stuff that is used in commercial packaging - kind of like a super heavy duty Saran Wrap.
    Also, may we have the link to the site that the cases and parts are available? That would be totally awesome. Thanks.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I put a new Trans on my Magnum last winter. the new one had a heat shield like material around the top of the trans caseing. looked like it will work better than the plastic bag! I sprayed the whole thing with spray on bed liner and tried to fill any gaps where fert dust could get under.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Now I am worried about my high hours PG Ultra. I have not heard much about motor or tranny corrosion problems on the Ultra. On the other hand PG puts those plastic covers over the tranny so there MUST be a problem. I think I will take the cover off--prime the transmission--paint it twice--and put the cover back on. OR...maybe drop by the shop that rustproofed my pickup.
    Also got to paint those white wheels again this winter.
  8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if it would not be possible for them to make em out of stainless steel? Would eliminate the issue entirely, you would think, especially as it is in an area that's gonna get pounded with corrosives.:)
  9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

That would be a REALLY expensive transmission if it was stainless.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There is likely an aluminum alloy that is corrosion resistant. Think to the Marine industry. There is aluminum on boats.