1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 PG Ultra Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 18, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

1) The "agitator" at the bottom of the granular hopper, is there supposed to be a cap on that?

Mine popped off today, and for the life of me I can't remember. If there was a cap on there, it's out in a yard along with the Dimension I was putting down today.

Right now, I can tap it down on the support, but it comes right back off within about a bag & 1/2. I looked and there doesn't LOOK to be a hole to stick a hitch pin or cotter key through, maybe I'll just have to pull it apart after this round and drill out a little hole to stick a pin through.

2) I know there's guys that have had problems with the starters. I was trying to look up some of the problems, to see if what I've got is the same, but to no avail.

My starter keeps shorting out, or something else is blowing that 30 amp fuse and I'm wondering if anyone else has had that problem, and you happened to have found the cause???

2. I keep blowing the fuse on my starter also. It is really aggravating, and I can't track down what's causing it.

I don't know about a cap on the fert agitator, I'll check it out today and post again this evening.
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

there is a 'washer' type of clip that fits that agitator shaft. very flimssy and lesco will charge around $2.50

PG now reccomends NOT USING THE ELECTRIC start. Using the starter will also draw power from the spray pump causing a very poor spray pattern.
  4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

How can it draw away from the pump? After the engine is started it isn't using any electricity. The electrical system will maintain a certain amperage if it is working properly, it should be more than the draw of the pump. If not then ther is a problem with the voltage regulator.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, that's not an issue.

The only way that it could be an issue, is if that's where the short is, and that's why it keeps blowing the fuse. However, the pump still pumps even if the starter fuse is blown.
  6. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Starter? They have starters??
    I have been pull starting mine everytime since I had about 80 hours on it. Got tried of messing with it.

7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

well, i aint very mechanically inclined so i cant answer....but when PG 'recalled' our ultra and sent it back they had disconnected the electric start stating that it drew power away from the pump....i dont know how or why, i just know we now get a 10' spray pattern where as before we were lucky to get 6'
  8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Try a 35 or 40 amp fuse if you can find one. I'm with everyone else though, it's easier just to pull start it.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We always pull-start ours too. The push button start usually doesn't work anyway. I'm not "bashing" Permagreen, but I can think of several 'modifications' that I would like to see.
  10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had to pull start mine since i bought it w/ 75hrs on it.. just another reason not to buy an american product and give more to the jap's!! all the problems w/ the briggs engine and now their [PG] w/ honda, i think i will get a magnum for that very reason. i'v had briggs/kohler/tecomsa on equipment and it is ALL junk, i have only honda/kawasaki and life has never been better, fuel and reliability.