2 Ply or 4 Ply ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to get new tires. Would you all suggest a 4ply or 2ply tire? And what is the difference between the two. I've seen both at the stores and want to buy the right ones. Right now I have 4ply Dico tires. I've been looking at Carlise Turf-Savers and they are either 4ply or 2ply.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Mowman

2. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Go with the 4-ply tires they are a bit more expensive but are the way to go. The difference is that they are thicker and made with more rubber. The 2-ply has a max psi of 14lbs and the 4-ply has a max psi of 28lbs which would mean that they would hold the weight of the mower better. And if there was 4-ply on the mower I would certainly go with 4-ply again. Oh and the Carlise Turf Savers are 4-ply.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The 4 ply is more resistant to punctures from thorns and other small sharp objects. The plys are usually made from polyester. A 2 ply tire would have 2 layers of polyester and a 4 ply would have 4.

4. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Four- ply durability out lasts two- ply in two ways that I can think of as both have been brought up, the amount of air and puncture resistance of the four- ply. Tires get hot especially in the summer and the two-ply would flex and move around too much to trust on a larger mower walk behind or rider. I don’t know about you but fixing flats out in the field don’t make me any of them dead presidents. Napa makes a tire goop that works well for tires (to keep them rail road spike holes fixed up) better than the b-12 stuff.

Mo, mo ,mo yo self quickly to de bank!

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The 4 ply will save you some of the aggervation of fixing flats.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Mow-man i run Carlise Turf Savers on my Z-Master there good tires they don't tear alot and hold hills good,Id go with the 4-ply. Marks Mowing Service