2 possible dumps to buy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBL, Sep 30, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

1. 1995 chevy 3500 dump diesel
    90k miles
    stick 4x4
    boss plow
    $6500 needs steel brake lines

2. 1997 Dodge 3500 diesel
    193k miles
    auto 4x4
    meyer plow
    $6500 doesent SEEM to need anything

which seems better ive heard the chevy diesels have had many problems maby something about the heads craking a little after 100k but i like that one and the dodge miles are kinda high any advice

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with that dodge anyday of the week. The cummins diesels are a reliable engine and that engine has at least another 150k till the recomended re-build period comes around. I have heard so many stories (and personally looked at) many gm trucks with the 6.5 diesel that had or needed major engine work before theny reached 110k miles. JMO

BTW, if you don't mind saying...is $6500 the most your looking to shell out for a truck? I can keep my eye out around me and let you know if anything comes in. Your only about a 45 minute drive from me.

3. DBL

i was waiting for that we have 3 dodges right now 1 a cummins and i love it...the dodge is a little dirtier than the chevy so it may have been worked too but im gonna call down to the dealer monday and talk to them the chevy is for sale by the guy we rent our shop off of

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the Chevy its got lower miles yes the 6.5 isn't that good but Chevy is a better cab and chassis truck. You can fix the engine the truck itself is probably good and will last you a long time. Chevy has been building cab and chassis work trucks for decades. I have seen guys use and abuse Chevy trucks like putting 3-4 ton on a 1 ton truck. Chevy is used allot for muni trucks and I have seen those beat the living crap out of.

That Dodge probably isn't a true cab and chassis.

The Dodge probably needs

Complete brake job
    Rebuilt transmission
    New springs

and a whole list of other parts.

There is a reason the guy is selling the Dodge its costing more to repair than its worth.

5. DBL

yeah but i was talking to a guy dont know if hes right but im pretty sure he is but he said a new jasper engine in the chevy will cost me 6k alone

6. Gravel Rat

Yes it will cost you 6000 but it will cost you allot more trying to keep the Dodge going. The Cummins might go another 100,000 miles but the truck won't.

I have been trucking since I got my license at 16 (too many years ago) I have seen what Chevys can do. You see way more chevys working than Dodge. Myself I'am a Ford man and pretty well run nothing but Ford trucks.

I know guys that have run Chevy 1 tons with 12x8 flatdecks that used to haul up to 8000lbs yes way overloaded but the trucks did the job. In my years of trucking have I ever seen a Dodge actually haul a good load. Almost 99% of the Dodge trucks have 1/2 ton springs in a 1 ton truck. They have a poor frame design.

A true cab and chassis truck should have a 34" frame width if its wider on the Dodge its a P/U with the box taken off.

I know I will have people arguing that Dodge is good. Maybe in their own little world or they think just because its got a cummins it make the truck the best out there.

If I was going to slap down 6500 dollars for either one of those trucks it would be for the Chev. Its a no brainer the Chev has 100,000 miles less and Chevy is a far far more proven work truck over a Dodge. H*ll if it wasn't for the gov't bailing Dodge out of bankruptsy years ago they wouldn't be in business.

7. DBL

you said you would buy the chevy over the dodge but would you buy the chevy over something else of equal stats in all will this truck last

8. Gravel Rat

I wouldn't buy a Chevy over a Ford because I like Fords but if I couldn't buy a Ford it would be a Chevy or GMC.

That 95 Chevy if it was in good shape etc and was selling here it would have a selling price of minimum 13,000 dollars CND. The Dodge on the other hand would maybe sell for 6500 CND. It would sit on a dealers lot for a long time because it has such high mileage. I converted to kilometers it comes to 308800 which is very high and not many people even want to look at a truck with that kind of kilometers.

The Chevy would maybe on a dealers lot for a month or less the Dodge maybe a year or more.

Try get some pictures to see what we are looking at :drinkup:

9. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

go with the Chevy

10. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

You will spend thousands on either truck you go with, just find a Good F-350 or F-450 and spend a little more. Gravel rat must be drunk again, because the chevy 6.5 was the worst diesel ever built if I am not mistaken. I have worked on several for friends of mine over the years and they are very expensive to work on and almost complete junk. My local chey dealer has had a few trade-ins on his lot for over a year with around 100,000 miles and he can't give them away. Just the same the front ends on the dodge trucks will cost a small fortune to repair, I have owned a few of them over the years, loved the power of the cummins but couln't afford to keep throwing good money after bad.
    This same chey dealer just bought a ford dealer so that he could bring some ford and sell them on this chevy lot.

Buy a ford