2 questions about my new enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Barkleymut, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a new 24ft Haulmark enclosed trailer. When hitched up the front of the trailer is significantly lower than the rear of the trailer. The truck I use (an 03 2500HD Silverado) barely even feels any toungue weight from the trailer. I assume this is not good for the trailer or my truck. I guess the guy sold me the wrong bar that the ball hooks up to. I guess it has too much of a drop on it. But I'm just guessing. Anyone know? BTW: the safety chains are almost touching the ground, and the trailer IS loaded correctly, it does this even when unloaded.

Also I only have one vent. It is a roof vent. Can I drive at 55-65 with that thing wide open? Seems like it would put a great deal of stress on the vent components.

Thanks guys.

2. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

yeah sounds like you got too much drop. From the sounds of it you may need to go up 2 or probably 4 inches (without seeing it, not knowing for sure)
    Hailmark.com should list your trailer and it gives the height of the tongue from ground to top of ball measurment. Use that so when you get the correct hitch you can measure yours from the ground to the top of the vall.

I have seen the vent opened when people drive but i just ordered a haulmark my self and my dealer told me not to drive with it open. The hinges seem very flimsy.

I got mine with side wall vents too just for that purpose..to keep fresh air moving at high speeds.

If you want to have it open try one of those airmax things. Its a white plastic cover that mounts over the vent that and allows you to leave the vent open. works on the negative preassure principle. as the air goes over it, because the opeming is in the rear, it causes negative pressure at the opening and "sucks" the stail air out of the trailer.

maxxair.jpg

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Barkleymut, depending on how far things are off with your draw bar, you might be able to get away with just flipping it over and moving the ball to the otherside.

If the one you have is a really low drop, this may put it too high for you then. But you might as well try it first before you go buying another bar.

And as far as the chains go, if leveling the trailer out doesn't get them up off the ground, then just twist them once or twice before hooking them to your truck.
    And you probably already know this, but just in case, make sure you criss cross them before you hook them to the truck (this will also take up some of the slack if you aren't already doing this way).

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to have it open try one of those airmax things. Its a white plastic cover that mounts over the vent that and allows you to leave the vent open. works on the negative preassure principle. as the air goes over it, because the opeming is in the rear, it causes negative pressure at the opening and "sucks" the stail air out of the trailer.

I have to get one of these, just so the acorns don't put a hole thru my vent. I bought a 37' 5th wheeler last summer, and the acorns busted 2 of the vents. My 99 zx2 has dents from the nuts fallen.

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I think the height of your trailer ball should be 21" from the ground. That should level out the trailer. We have two roof vents that we leave open a couple of inches all day and they are fine. I would not recommend driving around with them all the way open.

Scott

6. Pugsly

Pugsly LawnSite Member

If i remeber right they are fairly cheap, too. I thought they run around $35 or so. But don't quote me on that.