2 questions for the pros

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, May 19, 2005.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Thanks in advance for your expertise...

1. What height should I be cutting my lawn at? I had it set at 2" but am thinking of going up to 2.5"

2. I just laid down 6 yards of bark mulch around the house. I put newspaper under the bark to act as a weed barrier. I heard somewhere that by the time it decomposes the weeds will be done for the year. I only laid down one thickness of paper. Do you guys think I should have gone heavier on the paper?

Thanks again...

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

1. What kind of grass?

2. I have heard of people doing this, but I think if you can get 3" of mulch down, that should stop most of your problems.

3. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Marko:
    I can't recall the specific make-up of the grass but I do know that the majority is Kentucky Blue as well as some rye. It was a blend specifically formulated for the area I live (NW Pa.)

coachgrd

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Blue grass I would mow at 2.5 to start the season and clean it up, then raise it to 3 - 3.25 for the summer. Start cutting down to 2.5 - 3" for the fall/winter. The longer the grass blades are, the longer the roots are as long as 1/2 to 1" of water is applied per week. Also helps block out weed germination.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

if you put down 3" of bark mulch, I think you'll be fine.

I would mow that grass at 3".

6. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Mow at least at 3 inches Id go closer to 4 if it was my yard.

NEWSPAPER please say you didnt use any color news paper and only black and white because the color dyes wreek havoc on the soil

REMBER to only cut 1/3 of the length of the blades of the grass at a time

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

All my lawns are no less than 3" and a majority at 3.75.
    Shouldn't need any newspapers under 3" of mulch

8. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

NEWSPAPER please say you didnt use any color news paper and only black and white because the color dyes wreek havoc on the soil

No, I used regular newspaper. The colored (mostly ads) doesn't even have the same texture, and not knowing how long it would take to decompose, I chose not to use it.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well you'll probably end up with a mess,so stay out of the beds as much as possible so you don't mess up the paper.3 to 4 inches of mulch will keep down most weeds if you removed most of the weeds before appying the mulch.