2 Questions Regarding B/S 15.5hp Intek Engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by buzzard86, Jul 26, 2008.

1. buzzard86

buzzard86 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

Hey gang -

Many thanks to Restrorob and others for helping me install this engine last year on my Scag. It has saved me much hassle and made my mowing "chore" now a pleasure. I'm having two problems with the engine... hoping you can chime in with your expertise.

First, lately I've found that the engine seems to flood when sitting for an extended period. To the point that I've got gas coming out of the muffler. (It is literally flooding while sitting... not flooding while trying to start). It absolutely won't start unless I repeatedly pull and dry the plug. Eventually it will start and then it runs fine. I've tried recently shutting off the fuel supply valve between mowing and it seems to help. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Second, lately I've been having trouble keeping the flywheel cover on (pull start). Despite my efforts, the danged thing keeps flying off when I pull it. I had the cover in last week to my dealer to replace the little plastic arms that engage the pull mechanism and a mechanic there noted that Briggs has since changed the design due to a known defect with the mounts. I got the engine last May from Small Engine Warehouse... I believe it has a 2yr warranty. Think there's any chance Briggs will replace it? I tried calling B/S yesterday and they wouldn't help me over the phone. Said I had to take it to my dealer for warranty issues. Not sure how motivated they'll be to help, as I didn't purchase the engine from them.

Incidentally, model is B/S 28BH76 15.5 Intek Vertical Shaft Recoil Start 9amp. I have 16 (yes 16) hours on it.

Thanks for any help and info you can provide.

JIM

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This very complaint has been voiced by several LS members time and again, my own do it too and mine are Kohlers, the only known solution so far is to shut the supply valve off.

This to me is a new-fangled problem as well, it isn't something that ever happened in the first 5-6 years, my only suspicion is that somehow it is the ethanol wreaking havoc with certain internal parts of carburetion that now and somehow allow gravity and fuel to flood the engine when its left sitting.

After having paid for a rebuild via a kit and then having bought an entire carburetor for my trimmer as well, the only thing that comes to mind is an old man that used to tell me that ethanol likes to corrode certain rubber gaskets and o-rings inside the carburetors, story which I found sounded like so much folklore at the time is starting to sound more appealing in truth today. How exactly ethanol is any worse than gasoline when it comes in contact with rubber I could not tell you, but that carburetors can act stupid when such are corroded and the odd coincidence of the introduction of ethanol and this very problem brings a noticeable timing factor to the entire story :p

So who knows, but lets just say you're not the only one and it isn't just Briggs doing it, I would safely assume your engine is doing fine and lets hope one day we find a better solution to this annoying problem.

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

It's the ethanol IN the gasoline wreaking havoc with the rubber/viton -tipped needle valve for the float.
    It softens, then the fuel gets by the needle slowly, filling the carb, then passing through the valves, past the rings, and into the sump.
    Install a new needle valve, and put a fuel shut-off in if you don't have one already.

The flywheel cover or the recoil starter? If you don't pull out the rope slowly until it engages the starter cup, then pull the rope to start, you are shortening the life of the starter (and not just B&S units - all of them). In my opinion, anything over 12HP is going to kill you trying to rope-start the thing, and be tough on (shorten the life of) a recoil start.

And why the hell did you opt for B&S on a commercial unit? This isn't the early '80s anymore.

4. buzzard86

from Philly

The whole flywheel cover with the recoil assembly is coming off (actually flying off as it releases in the middle of a pull start). The cover fits down over top of the mounting bolts. Mechanic said that the newer ones actually bolt through the cover effectively keeping them in place.

Simple... cost. I was able to pick this engine up for $400 brand new. Looked and Kohler and others (and would have preferred them) but this mower isn't a daily workhorse and economics dictated the decision.

5. buzzard86

from Philly

Happen to know if this is the type of thing covered under warranty? Certainly something I could do myself but a free repair trumps all.

6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Nope Nada no warranty., not even if it was a Kohler etc...

All I can say is this..The first time the carb leaked gas out you should have repaired it or had it repaired at a B&S warranty dealer. the failure to do this ASAP has put your mower possibly your garage in danger of catching on fire (insert Boom Sound Here) :nono: also running the engine like that probably cause it to run a little rough and most likely the vibration from the rough running caused your screws to back out and what was your mounting Holes are now mounting slots. I think your a smart man...so act dumb and take it to a B&S dealer ASAP before the warranty runs out and say "Whats Up With This ?"
    It probably wont be covered but they may at least fix it ?

Mike

7. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

What I mean by acting dumb is when you take it to a B&S dealer tell the dealer that your wife just informed you this morning about this issue and you are worried about her safety because she is the primary operator of this mower. And when the dealer says are you a member of Lawnsite ? because I saw a similar thread about this on there...are you buzzard86 ?

Just reply..whats a lawnsite? and buzzard86 no thats a silly screenname I mean name :rolleyes:

one more thing, if your engines code# donst start with 0607 or higher 0608 etc... you will need to provide a sales receipt with the purchase date being less than two years old.
    But if decide to fix it yourself you want to pick-up a few needle and seat carb kits because this will probably happen again
    "It's the ethanol IN the gasoline wreaking havoc with the rubber/viton -tipped needle valve"

Good Luck and Please let us know how things turn-out

Mike