1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 Questions: What Brand? Bagger or Not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willow Tree, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Willow Tree

Willow Tree Guest

I would like to get a number of opinions. First of all I am sortof new to this. I have owned a lawn care busines before, but I was kind of a Rag Tag outfit with a $900 Murray lawnmower that only lasted a year. I am wanting to get back in the business, but this time with the good stuff. I am willing to spend $8,000 to $10,000 for the right equipment, but every one that I have looked at (Dixie Chopper, Scag, ExMark Lazer, Toro, John Deere, Etc, Etc.) and all of them , of course, claim that they are better than the rest. I would like to get the opinions of people that have had experience with several and what they think the best cutting and most reliable mowers are. I want a commercial grade, Zero-Turn Mower. ALSO, should I be concerned with a bagger mower or attatchment or not???
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark lazer. You can get an ultra vac, put the mulching kit on, or just side discharge. You get to make the choice with this machine. I love the cut of the exmarks!
  3. Willow Tree

Willow Tree Guest

I have to say, out of all that I have looked at, I liked the looks and finish of the ExMark the most. Are they reliable though? Kohler or Kawasaki? What ExMark is the best?
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have had great luck with Longevity and Lawn Appearance with Dixie Choppers. I feel they have the best oil and air filtering system on the market along with the best VTC hydro system too. Since you are new here, check out my lawn pictures to see a Chopper cut. The link to my site is below.

I would go demo all these brands and see what is best for you.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One thing, if you go with a better mower,(Exmark or Chopper) you won't really even NEED a bagger. I think I'd stay away from the Kawi motors and opt for the Kohler in this case. To consider one out of the two, think of 1. Location of dealer, 2. Service of dealer (a)Reputation (b)availability of demos in case of a breakdown and/or service. 3.Testimony and witness of those in your area with those machines. The best thing you can do for yourself is demo, demo, demo.
  6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I see that you are fairly new to lawnsite willow tree. Welcome aboard. If you were to search a few key words i think you would find hundreds of threads on topics of this sort. It SEEMS that just about every week someone asks this. We always get new input so it is fun, but i think that if you poked about a bit on the ol search button then you would find quite a bit.

That said, i am 100% Exmark fan. Much to Erics chagrin. hehe. Without speaking of any brand as good or bad, i would say MULCH as often as you can. If you can find a mower that mulches great then you have a good starting point. I dont know how many times ppl on here have said that they would have learned how to mulch properly earlier in business. they often say it would have saved them so much money. I can now count myself among those numbers. MULCH and save time and $$$$$.

Good luck on your search. If you cant find what you are looking for then just PM any of us that are on. Most of the regular guys and most of the newer ppl would be more than happy to help you.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have always loved exmark, so i would say a lazer z 60" 25hp wouold be great (can't wait to but one next year) i would but the ultra vac to go with it for the simple fact in the fall you will need it for leaves, plus with it being spring you never know when its gunna rain for 4 straight days and when you do have the chance to get out all your yards are 8" high. i have mulched all spring but the other day i had to bag for the simple fact that it was 6 days between cuttings and the grass just took off and grew 4 inches on 1 of my accounts, even after a double cut it didn't look up to my standards so i pulled out the ultra vac and made the yard look great. thanks goodness i carry it with me in the spring for situations just like this.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like you are in position to start out right.
    the makes you named are good , some others are
    grasshopper ,looks solid to me, yardly by ferris i think
    one heavy built machine. great dane, also impressive.
    bobcat, this machine dont get much press but some folks around here think its best for the money.
    as stated probably as important as what you buy is dealer support. i was in to pick up my saw the other day and the
    service guy just matter of factly offered a loaner
    if my saw wasnt ready.that kinda service makes a difference
    if you are making your living at this.luck to you