1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 quick questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just spent an hour cleaning my blades really really good. they REALLY REALLY needed it. I have about 12 blades total.

Is there a faster way to clean them? What do you guys do? I don't have a wire wheel on my bench grinder yet, so I simply used a paint stripper and shaved all the gook off.

Secondly, have any of you rigged up some sort of hoist to lift the front of your deck for easy cleaning? I was thinking of some sort of pulley syetem that doesn't require a lot of money or too much indepth electrical stuff. All feedback is appreciated.

2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought of attaching a come-along to a ceiling joist in my basement but haven't ever tried it. If I get a Super Z I may have to try it since I don't think my Jungle jack will fit the front of its deck.
  3. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Well since you dont have a bench grinder i would recommend a stiff wire brush with the blades in a vise and some elbow grease
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

get a bucket and fill it with water and soak the blades for a day and then brush them off with a scrub brush

i have a 55 gal. drum cut in half that i use

this is much cleaner than the brush on a grinder
  5. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

When a clean my blades, they rust really bad the next time I use them in the same spots where I removed the grim build up. Does anybody do anything about that or just let it ride?
  6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Why is the shop in the basement????? How do you get the mowers up and down the staris .... lmao.

I scrape the blades with a putty knife and call them good. Never done any more than that.

I use a 2 ton jack to lift my mowers.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a wire brush to clean my blades, it seems to work fine. I also have a come a long attached to a joist in the ceiling of my garage. I have probally about $35-50 invested in the total setup. It works fine also.
  8. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

i use a 1000 pd. hoist from northern tool to lift my machines.. i just scrape off what i can get with putty knife,then use wire wheel brush on grinder.
  9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what size mower you have, but I simply back my 48 off the trailer, lean it all the way back, drive it a few feet over to one of the big wooden pilings under my house, rest the deck against it & put on the parking brake. Instant 5 second "jack" that I never have to worry about giving way. Very easy position to clean and change blades in.
  10. If my blades are coated with grunge, I soak them overnight, brush, sharpen, balance, and then coat them with oil.

Of course your ceiling joist are probably not designed to suspend several hundred pounds in a point-load, and do their job supporting the roof. But if you have no alternative than to hang a come-along from them, try to distribute the load across as many joists as possible. I’d cut a hole in the ceiling if I had to, in order to secure a 4x6 above and across four or more of the joists. Still it’s not recommended.