2 quick questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobby perez, Jun 7, 2004.

1. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

I have a 14 horse kawa. Every 2nd or 3rd pull on the starter it kicks back real real hard . It almost tears my fingers and arms off.Is there anything I can do to correct this problem. #2? can I pull the mower back.In other words can I push down on the pistol grips so the deck comes sraight up so I can clean underneath the deck or will the oil get to places in the engine it should'nt. Thanks for your answers.

2. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

Quick answers

#1 Don't know.

#2 Should be fine we've been doing it for years. Though I wouldn't tip them upside down :)

3. cincymower

cincymower LawnSite Member

I've got a 14hp Kaw that does the same thing, except it's more like every 50th pull. I never try to start it now without gloves, because as you say it almost rips your fingers off, and hurts bad for a good 5 minutes. I'm also interested in if or how this can be fixed.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Try "priming" the pull. Pull slowly until resistance, let it go back in and then pull. Make sure your engine is tuned and has good fuel and it should start without a problem. Oil will get past the valve area if you point the head downhill. Normally, tilting the deck up from the front won't hurt anything.

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My 15 horse Kawi on my Exmark occasionally does the same thing. Really pisses me off. Like Tharell said, "prime the pull" it works for me.

6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

1. pull the cord till the piston is at the top of its stroke and it shouldn't do that.
    2. You can tip it over just as long as you dont tip it towards the carb.

7. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

I also have a 12.5 kawi, I have no problem with kick back on this one . What about an 18 or 17 horse can the ypropell rockets when they kick back. This thing is like every other pull or so.

8. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I am not sure about your particular model but some of the bigger engines like 15 on up in hp will have an automatic compression release built into them and if this unit fails it can cause the kickback like you are experiencing. Also it is possible that it could have a partially sheared flywheel key that could cause an out of time condition that can cause them to kickback also. The flywheel key isn't hard to check but you would probably have to take it to the dealer to find out about the compression release if it even has one.

9. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

I still remember the kick on my 12.5 hp Kawasaki that I bought in 1988. I vowed to never get another mower over 5 hp without electic start after that one. OUCH!!!

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Answers (as far as I know)

1.I have never had any problem w/ the 15 hp V-Twin Kawi on my Bob-Cat, so I can't help you there.

2. The oil should be fine, but shut off the fuel valve or the carb can get messed up. Hope this helps!