2 strok or 4 strok engins?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coronelli, Dec 3, 2006.

1. coronelli

coronelli LawnSite Member

From what little I know there are some trade offs with both.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think 4 stroke is the way of the future. They are much quieter with more power. All the nutty small towns that want to ban blowers will probably start with a noise ordinance that the average 4stroke can pass but an equal 2 stroke cant.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My 4 stroke blower runs just fine. I don't have a problem embracing new technologies like some other people here at Lawnsite do.

4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

2-stroke Extremly powerful for its weight reach higher rpm's with no problem. Less parts, simpler consept. However larger engines have cooling problems. Thats why you only see v-6 and v-8 2 strokes in boats. Unfortantly they do burn oil. . .

4-stroke. Alot of torque. Alot cleaner burning. Quiter then a 2-storke. However they are very heavy. There are alot of parts with them and alto that can go wrong.

4-Mix,
    Perfect!!!

5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

CORRECT!!!!!! couldnt have said it better myself.....:cool2:

6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 2-cycle engines because they take so little maintainence, just occasional air/fuel filter and sparkplug changes. No valves, etc. to deal with. For this reason I've decided to get 2-cycle as long as I can.
    However, I'd have no problem switching to 4-cycle if the EPA bans 2-cycle. 4-cycle are certainly cleaner and have a much more pleasant exhaust sound.