2 stroke break in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Dec 17, 2005.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

When you buy a new piece of 2-stroke equipment, how do you treat it?
    Do you take it easy at first, or run it full throttle from the get go?
    I'm curious to see what others do.

2. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

i try and run the machines at 3/4 throttle for 10 hrs or at least try too so everything sets right

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Let it rev. Full Throttle. 2 Cycle will either break right away or will last a long time. Any ways what is 10 Hours??? Who puts a hour meter on their 2 cycle stuff? Who can keep their trimmer and blower and 3/4 throttle any ways. All or none. That is the way it operates any ways.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing I do for my 2 stroke stuff (apart from the basics) is always let it warm up just a little. These guys I see cranking up a trimmer or blower and right away running wide open somehow makes me cringe.:nono:

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The 1st or 2nd property I use them on I try to run them easy, but after that I let them run wide open

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Same with us!!!
    Plus with new stuff, just a couple lawns and the way it goes.

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i normally take it easy on the first tank that comes with the piece of equipment when i buy it full or half full. then it full throttle at all times . 2 cycle equipment is made to run full throttle not half.

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I NEVER run a 2 stroke at anything less than full throttle, unless theres a reason to. if it dont break in the first tank of fuel, it'll probably not break for awhile in my experience.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do try to take it easy of my 2 strokes for the first few tanks of gas. Rod bearings and piston rings do last longer if you seat them a little before running the engine to 10,000 rpm.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I let it warm up and then WIDE OPEN.