2 stroke exhaust always clogging up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrendonTW, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

Hey folks

I run echo equipment, echo 2 stroke oil, and non-ethanol fuel. My trimmer and edger and even blower (not as much on the blower though) are always clogging up. Causing us to be slowed down during the work day due to equipment not running up to speed or stopping to clean out the exhaust. Running 50:1 mix.

Any ideas as to what we are doing to cause this? Or anything we should try to get these things to not clog up so much? Running without the muffler is SO loud and unprofessional sounding.

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

One thing that will contribute to clogged exh. ports is running a trimmer with the line shield/cutter removed. The longer line slows the engine rpm's and builds up carbon.

If it's just the screens yer talkin' about, just remove em.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

In addition to what Fish said, running at reduced speeds for extended periods contribute to carbon buildup, due to less than ideal combustion.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

How hard do you run your equipment?

Oldtimer
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

Thanks everyone. We run our stuff with the guards on so the line isn't too long. Maybe we need to run with higher rpms. Don't usually run wide open.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

When I have that problem I will run it full throttle for 5-10 minutes usually take the string out and just rubber band it while I'm getting stuff ready for the day. But eventually the screen has got to go.

7. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have problems with this all the time too. The good folks at the shop would always tell me i was running too rich. I run the fuel at 50:1 with stihl ultra oil. Take a torch and a wire brush to the exhaust screen and it'll run good as new

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

And thats your problem. If you are using the machine, use it at full throttle or turn it off.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

and run better oil, the echo is pretty good, but amsoil saber or opti2 will take care of that as well. running 80;1

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Opti-2 is all we use (with premium gas) and rarely have a carbon buildup issue. We also run sea foam through them fairly regularly and that helps too. I have one crew member that doesn't run high rpm's and I notice his trimmer has problems more often than the others.