2-stroke mods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ucfjoe, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ucfjoe

ucfjoe LawnSite Member
    from ORLANDO

ok i tried to search for this first so i'm sorry if this is a repost.

what can be done to get more power out of a 2-stroke these days...for instance i just bought a ebz8000 if i wanted to increase the horsepower by a bit how would i go about doing it, or is it even possible/practical because of too much added strain on the engine...from what i understand adjustible carbs are illegal now...so are there any work arounds? i want to experiment short of boaring the thing out. i consider myself fairly knowledgable when it comes to manintence and repair. i know many people will say i'm stupid for wanting to do this, but what can i say Tim Taylor is my hero.

also what do you guys recomend for break-in? just run it 25:1 fr the first tank?

i don't know if this is the right section for this...if not mods please move

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

MORE POWER! YEAH!
    I see a ported and polished cylinder, a shaved head, twin expansion chambers too. Maybe a reed valve intake, or for the really adventerous, maybe a power valve. Too bad the 2 strokes are on the way out. It was really easy to get horsepower out of a little engine.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i took off the spark arester and gutted the muffler. the put extra holes in the air cover to let more air go into the filter.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

This primarily pertains to your 8000 and not smaller blowers: I don't think more motor will really help performance with the 8000. I think the first mod would be to improve air flow. I believe my 8000 actually blows more cfm's at about 90% throttle. It seems at 100%, the fan is spinning so fast the air intake is insufficient. It may be faster out the tube but volume is what really gets the job done. Mods to open up the fan's intake (which could be very dangerous!) would be your first step IMO.:)

5. ucfjoe

ucfjoe LawnSite Member
    from ORLANDO

that is a great point about doing something with the getting more air flow, gettin a bigger impeller or whatever its called on a blower...but i do see myself messing something up right now with the ebz and it's new so i don't wanna break it...yet

i was thinking about the aircover myself...as for the muffler packing i will check, i didn't think of that. have you tried this at all??? what kind of difference did you notice??? these sound like good starting ideas and would work on just about any motor...i have an old echo T saw and i am def gonna have some fun with that...anything goes

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Throw the warrenties out the door after you do anything of this nature.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

OK so I had an empty can of whipping cream.

Started up the Redmax and set throttle to full (on the ground).

Then, I stuck the tip of the empty (except nitrous propellant) can into the air filter intake and let 'er rip.

RPM's sounded like they increased by about 1/3. It was pretty wild, really developed some kick. Might be nice to put a little blue bottle in my fanny pack for those extra tall piles of wet leaves for my EB7001 and EB8000 this fall!:cool2:

PS if you put a bunch of ricer stickers on the blower it's good for about 20 HP since Zenoah is Japanese.

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

when i rev it (SRM-230 trimmer) it has more of rock/kick to it. the muffler has a round disc in it and i took a drill to it and cleared out all the metal scrap. and its alot louder also

9. ucfjoe

ucfjoe LawnSite Member
    from ORLANDO

i wonder if i could retro fit an after market exhaust from a jr80 dirtbike...haha obviously the warranty would be voided here, i'm trying to imagine the look on my dealers face if i were to do these mods and i came in for warranty work

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

This thread got me to thinking about how lamely powered our lawn equipment is.
    I have a RC 1/8 scale 4wd buggy that has a piston about the size of your thumb.
    That thing pumps out 3hp and will violently accelerator to about 50mph, and will go much faster if geared to do so.
    It also runs on 30% nitro and needs a new piston and sleeve after about 6 gallons - obvious trade off excessive power is, eh.

That thought leads to this one...
    The engines Zenoah makes for RC airplanes make quite a bit of power, much more than our trimmer/blower engines.
    They also have a reasonable life span... and sell for $400 and up just for the engine.

It seems that a guy could "hop-up" a Zenoah by simply buying parts made for the RC planes, particularly exhaust.