2 stroke oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Sep 2, 2005.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about switching to either Amzoil or Opti-1. For those of you that have tried both, which do you prefer?

My dealer gave me a bottle of Amzoil today. It is 8oz, and it says to mix with 6 gallons for the 100:1 ration. That seems really lean. Do you mix yours that way?

Also, the dealer asked for some feedback on the oil since they just started carrying it. Will I notice any difference over the course of just a few tanks?

Hope you all have a great weekend.
  2. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

I have never heard of Opti-1, but I have been using Amsoil 100 to 1 mix in everything 2 stroke since the 1980's. I would not use anything else.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I have used both Amsoil and Opti-2 synthetic 2 cycle oils.
    Both seem to work really well.

I ran the Amsoil at 80:1 mix (one 8oz bottle per 5 gal gas).
    As far as the Opti-2 goes I'm not sure what the mix ratio is, I bought the 1-gallon bottle with a pump style top and it says to give 2 pumps per gallon of gas.

Using the Opti-2 at 2 pumps per gallon of gas seemed to be to rich and was fouling up the plugs so I had to reduce the amount of oil. Now instead of 10 pumps per 5 gallons of gas I only use 7 pumps.

Once I figured out the right mixture I really can't tell a difference between the two products.

The only thing I didn't like about Amsoil is very few shops carry the product here in SLC. I found that I was driving out of my way to purchase it or I had to order it online.
  4. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Wells, I did mean Opti-2.
    In case you're wondering, I got mine at Speeds. They just started carrying both brands.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have used Opti and Amsoil. I now never mix leaner than 50 to 1 as manufacturers suggest. Mixing leaner changes your air-fuel ratio. Opti at 50 or 70 to 1 coked my ports. Amsoil worked OK but after my source stopped carrying because of race engine failures I switched to Redline snowmobile and aircooled race oil at $34 a gallon. I like the product and get better power than the Amsoil. Easily found at your local motorcycle dealer.