2 stroke or 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wittapp, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Wittapp

Wittapp LawnSite Member

Thinking about getting a new blower next season. I have not had any experience with the 4 stroke blowers or trimmers. The research that I have done seems to indicate that 2 stroke is still the way to go. Pros and cons ?

Dave in Dayton

2. Weight. The 4 stroke engine will be significantly heavier. Reliability. The 4 stroke has many more internal moving parts and more chances for something to go wrong. Service. A 4 stroke will require valve adjustments and other adjustments at specified intervals. Price. 4 stroke powered equipment usually costs more.

The only advantage a 4 stroke has over a 2 stroke is lower emissions and the only disadvantage to a 2 stroke is having to mix the gas and oil and cost of that oil.

I bought a 4 stroke trimmer back before I got into mowing and that thing was very heavy and was almost glad when someone stole it from the inlaws lake house. I had left it up there for some minor trimming. That reminds me, that trimmer would turn fairly high rpm but, it took it a few seconds for it to rev up but, a 2 stroke's engine revs much faster.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitely go with a 2 stroke. Just my opinion.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3 backpack blowers. Echo 651, Redmax 7001 and Stihl 600. The echo is the heaviest and not quit as strong as the other two. The one that gets grabbed most of the time is the stihl, it is the most comfortable to use and has the most power. The most dependable one is the redmax hands down. The redmax has never given one problem while the stihl eats ignition coils and also had problems with the fuel vent one time. I have heard people say they have trouble with the 4mix things , but out of the trimmers-eadgers-blowers the only problem I've had is the blower coil. When I need to replace blowers I am going to check out the big Dolmar/Robin I have heard great reviews from one of the cities that have swiched to them.

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Not quite the only Pro with the emissions, the power and torque are also a pro. Now about the gas/oil mixing, Stihl (4Mix) and Shindaiwa (C4) both use a gas oil mixture so you don't have to worry about changing the oil in your trimmer or blower.

Yes, Stihl does state that you should have the valves adjusted after the first 100hrs or so, but some guys have had machines for years and have never had the valves adjusted and the machines are being used daily with no problems.

6. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

I would go with the 2-stroke. I am very impressed with the echo PB-755. If you go with a 4-stroke look at Dolmar. I saw both of these at a dealer in New Carlisle, Oh. They both look very well made and the echo comes with a 5 yr. warranty.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add that the 4 stroke blowers tend to be lighter than their 2 stroke counterparts. I have a Stihl BR600 and I'm very happy with it. I've had it so long I'm going to have to change the fuel hoses this winter.

8. CleanCutProLawn

CleanCutProLawn LawnSite Member

I have a 4mix Stihl trimmer and love it, can operate at much lower rpms so its a lot quieter. If you use the strap weight shouldn't be an issue.

9. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

My only experience with a 4-sroke is with a stihl pole saw that I own. It's hard to keep it ideling on cold days, and it must be at full throttle to cut anything worth a darn. Also takes a couple of seconds for the engine to rev up. But it hardly uses any gas at all which is very nice. If it was me I would stay away from the 4-srokes for now.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the stihl br600 is a 4mix, and it is lighter, quieter and more powerful than other blowers. I am not so sure about weed trimmers, but I have experience with the blower.