1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2 stroke piston stop - where to find?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by loafycleetus, Oct 7, 2009.

1. loafycleetus

loafycleetus LawnSite Member

Hello all, I have been lurking around on this site for awhile reading about all of the issues and problems that have gone under the scope and dissected until a resolution is found. Quite frankly I love the mystery of the problem and the satisfaction of a fix! Thanks to all for your knowledge!

Now to my question, I have looked high and low for a piston stop that fits through the spark plug hole and does NOT thread in. I have seen them in the Stihl shop and of course I get "you can't buy one from here" line of BS.
    I am aware that there are ways to do without but I would rather have the right tool for the job. As an ex GM tech for 5 years I am quite anal in that regard.

Do any of you guys know of a place where I could get one? Thanks! Matt

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious what you need that for.....I work on a lot of 2 stroke Echo trimmers and blowers and never needed one. I replace bearings seals clutches etc etc..:confused:

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Your Stihl Dealer can order one for you. If not call the next dealer. If they wont get you one then take a peice of starter rope and put it down the plug hole.\
    And to ED2hess, try working on a Stihl, put the air wrench on the clutch or flywheel and you will sheer the key.

4. loafycleetus

It is for a Stihl 029 super at the moment... MowerKnower, I guess my dealer is worthless when it comes to helping the DIY guy.

5. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember tomorrow, I will get the part number for it. Then just call them up and order it by number, they wont know any better

6. loafycleetus

Thanks for the help1

7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

0000 893 5903 Locking Strip. They will break if not seated EXACTLY. You will find that the rope trick is the safest method. I have tried all types, and still go back to the 12" peice of #6 recoil rope. Used it 3 times today and one repair was a clutch removal / install on a Stihl 088.

8. loafycleetus

Just stuff it in the hole, leaving a bit sticking out? I wouldn't have thought that it would be thick enough but I guess all it is doing is keeping it from going to TDC. I'll give it a shot later today. Thanks!

9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, the rope works.

Used that trick when I did valve stem oil seal job to keep the valves in place.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I put a wrench on the clutch side to hold it when removing the flywheel nut.....can't you do that on Stihl?