2 stroke questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Jan 4, 2001.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I have a new 2 stroke motor for a edger and have a question. The motor idles fine but at full throttle is seems to bog down and does not have a whole lot of power. What do you think I need to adjust on the motor? Is it to rich to lean? It does not smoke alot. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your best bet is to get the owners manual out and follow the carb adjustment procedures as outlined. If that doesn't fix it and it's new take it back.

3. With the throttle open wide adjust the high speed mixture screw until it has the highest rpm.

Then adjust the low speed mixture screw to a point where it provides a smooth transition between idle and WOT (wide open throttle).

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds lean

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The ansswers you recieved are correct.
    Just shows the true value of this forum.
    If the sponcsers arnt enough,it would be worth
    something to me to keep the forum strong.
    JUST MINE TM

6. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

Muffler could be cloged. Take it apart and clean the port and the screen if it has one.

7. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We have had that happen more than once with our trimmers. It should be the muffler. It could be carbon, or sometimes, mud dobbers build nests in the mufflers!

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If adjusting the carb doesnt help,try replacing the in tank filter,if it has one,then readjust it,its definetly lean.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Since it is new, I would think a simple carb adjustment would fix this problem. It does sound lean on the mixture and I'm surprised the dealer didn't check this all out before selling it to you. My dealer won't send out any power tool like that without filling it up with gas/oil mix and doing a fine adjustment on the carb if needed.

If you keep the crud out of your gas can, you shouldn't need a new filter and since it's new, there shouldn't be carbon build up. If it was new 6 months ago, it could be any of the above.