1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 stroke WOT (wide open throttle)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Godfather, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

I was talking to a rep and they said that 2 cycle trimmers, blowers, ect. it will last longer running WOT. I was suprised because there is never a need for me to run the trimmers WOT when just trimming after mowing, even when i maintain an edge on drives and beds with the string trimmer i am not close to WOT.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, running them wide open is recomended. I am almost always at full throttle with my two cycle equipment.
  3. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I work on others and my own equipment. I had a costumer that brought me a brand new string trimmer and he was complaining it did not have any power. He pulled it out of his car fired it up and showed me, he first stuck the head into some tall grass around my shop then went 1/2 throttle. and it bogged down and nearly died.
    As nice as i could I showed him what he was doing wrong. 2 cycle trimmers on average have about a 1/3 hp at full RPMs so to get the power up you need to have WOT. Plus you need to get it started be for you put the load on the motor. To last longer the WOT will cool the small engine. 1/2 throttle all day you have a greater chance of over heating and burning it up.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

not to mention, lower rpm fouls plugs and clogs up the muffler...
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this is a bunch of b.s
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

It is the way they are designed. Why do you think all 2-Cycle Outboards have gone to an automatic oil injection system. As the RPMs change, the engines oil requirements differ. Therefore, 2-stroke Outboard engines have adjsstable oilers that change the amount of oil injected into the intake to mix with the fuel as the need changes.

Do you want to pay for adjustable oilers on trimmers, blowers, etc. I don't. Run WOT and you will not have problems.
  7. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

am i supposed to run WOT when i maintain a property each week, trimming just a tiny bit of grass around trees and beds?
  8. MarcSmith

actully the less you use, the better it is run it at or near WOT...helps keep the deposits down or burned off.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl told my to always run at wot. I feather the throttle and run at various speeds depending on conditions. I may be near delicate plants, or be around auto's on a commercial site and don't want to throw anything, in fact I run less than wot a lot of the time. The trimmer is a tool that I use the way I need it. I have never had one fail but if the life is shorter so be it. I want to run it the way I want and if the engine fails I'll buy another. But yes they are made to run wot, I just don't follow the rules.
  10. MarcSmith

I agree, you don't awlays need to run it WOT, epecially given some situation like you mentioned, but were possiible I was at or near WOT Like have a sharp blade the spins slowly or quickly the cleaner the cut the better the health of the plant...