2 tanks 2 reels 1 pump

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cenlo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Anyone have an easy solution to hook up 2 tanks....2 reels.....with 1 pump. I have a 100 gallon tank for weed control with a 50 gallon tank mounted along side. I have 2 electric hose reels mounted...but would like to run them off 1 motor. Is there and adaptor to bolt onto the motor that would run 2 Hypro pumps at different times? If not it would require 8 valves.......?......right?

Thanks

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You could run 2 hose reels of 1 hypro pump. but I don't know of any way to run 2 pumps of 1 engine? you could hook both tanks to 1 pump and have valves to control which tank your spraying out of.

3. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

intake one for each tank, return one for each tank = 4 valves
    (a "T" to separate both tanks from each other and a "T" to separate both tanks for its return. So, from the pump the pressure regulator will supply both reels, each reel should have it's own shut off valve to switch from one tank to the other. Then, its only a matter of choosing which tank you wish too use. 6 valves total. two to each tank and one for each reel. Now, what is your purpose for each tank? Would one be for broadleaf? and the other for spot spraying another selective herbicide?

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

5. cenlo

from Ontario

One for insects and one for weeds.

6. kjw79

kjw79 LawnSite Member

I think the best way would be to add two pumps inside the tank such as submersibles and put valves on the outputs to mantain the pressure, the valves of course would be connected directly to the reels, one for bugs, and one for weeds. Now as for the power issue, I would use and power inverter to get power to the pumps, and activate them by switched power. Let me know how this works if you go this route...
    Thanks
    Ken Welworth

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Cenlo

I purchased a used GT/CL Truck that was 2 tanks 2 reels and one pump driven by the PTO. There were two, Two way balls valve for switching tanks. one for the suction and one for the pressure from the pump. From the pressure side valve both tanks has separate pressure regulators.

I didn't like this system because of Cross contamination of the tanks. I sure wouldn't want herbicide in my insecticide tank. So I changed the plumbing to Two pumps and no cross overs. Because the body is enclosed I couldn't put a gasoline motor, so I got a 8.5 GPM 100 PSI Hypo electric pump that draws 40 amps. I used 8 gage wire. I am happy with this set up and even added a 3rd 25 gallon tank pump and hose reel which I used for herbicide. I use a smaller 2GPM 12V Hypro pump and get plenty of volume to spray herbicide at 1 gallon per thousand.

BTW you can run two pumps off one engine with a Jack Shaft. The engine turns the Jack shaft and a Belt pulley for each engine is engaged like a Mower deck is engaged.

8. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Absolutely, Ric, the best way to handle split tank would be to use another motor. I've used 5.5 honda motor for my lawn apps, and electric motor for my insecticide/fungicide treatments. No, cross contamination. This is especially true if one of tanks are to be used exclusively for T/S applications.

9. cenlo

from Ontario

Thanks for the posts. I never thought of a 12v pump. great idea. Would an on-demand pump be the best option?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

k.i.s.s keep it simple stupid
    that way no mess ups at the end of the day
    the electric pump would be the way to go if u dont need a lot of pressure
    post some pics when u get it running