2 Times per month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John P., Mar 5, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call from a guy who has close to two acres of land and wants a price to mow it. He said he thinks it will just need to be cut only 2 times a month. so if that is the case i was thinking of charging more than i would if it was a 4 times a month deal would you guys do the same and if so what do you think you would tag on to the price?
  2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

How tall does he want the grass cut? Is this a field that you could cut higher or does he expect you to keep it at 3.5 inches and bag every other week?

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is it just a field or a show piece?
  4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Number of factors as I see it.

= How is the terrain you are mowing in ? ( usually that type of grass as described isn't very smooth and might beat the mower .)

= How many trees/building/obstacles do you have go mow around?

= Is there trimming involved?

= Is there water runoff that might it make it very tall after a good rainfall?

Very tough to gauge unless you have some pictures of the property.

Most of our accounts are 2+ acres and the mowing times can change drastically from week to week.
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitely charge more to cut it than if cut weekly. Like 35 to 50% more. More wear and tear on the machine and a pain to schedule.

I still have a few accounts that are every 2 weeks, but I won't take them anymore. Creates a problem with scheduling and they just don't look good. Neighbors will see that it looks crappy but will not know it's because the customer is too cheap to pay for weekly service.

I've tried staggering the bi-weeklies so that they fall on opposite weeks, but it seems they always end up on the same week when we get a wet period, then I'm busting my butt one week and light the next. It just isn't worth it.
  6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Most of mine are biweekly. Haven't had any scheduling problems yet.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

But I'll bet you're not cutting fescue and bluegrass in Florida. Try cutting 2 weeks worth of wet tall fesque in New England in spring and you'll be off schedule!

And our rain comes differently too, yours as showers and ours as multi-day storms. So yeah, it depends on the type of grass and climate too.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last spring i had trouble keeping up with my weekly accounts grass was growing a good three four inches+ in a weeks time it was insane.
  9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I agree with Darryl with the 35-50% more. Cutting every 2 weeks is something I don't bother with tho. It throws things off, and customers get pissy with a higher bi-weekly rate as opposed to a normal weekly rate.
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember that your selling the TIME of you and your equipment. The game is to learn to estimate this time and charge accordingly. Giving someone a price per hour will scare them off. Consider the factors mentioned like quality of finished product [field mowing or show piece] . What has worked for me is to sell the customer on 10 day cuts during the heavy growth months. Sell Your TIME not your service. Think like a lawyer in billable hours. Until you learn estimating through trial and error for you individual situation you will be apprehensive about bids but don't be afraid to loose a few. When you hit a bid where you make big money you will feel like you hit the jackpot . Then look to do that as much as possible.