2 Turf Tiger hydro pumps in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Yep. That adds up pretty quick. Apparently, the bearings just went bad and sprung a leak, messing everything up in the process. I might ask my mechanic if I need to plan on replacing the bearings every winter as preventative maintenance, but I don't know how much it would cost. He said the failure was not oil related, but I wonder if it would have happened if I was using Amsoil or another synthic oil. With 2 new pumps, I guess the time would be now to make the change. Anybody else had this problem?

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've gone through a pump and wheel motor on the right side of mine, and it feels like I'm having a similar problem on the left side.

3. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We've got over 400 hrs. on our first TT. no problems yet.
    I guess we got one of the good ones, our new TT. is to new to tell only 30 hrs. on it.
    Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

4. Stonewall

Mine has over 1450 hours on it. In the last 6 months, I put a new 23 hp Kohler on it, upgraded to the advantage deck, and 2 hydro pumps. Too late to turn back now.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

There have been other posts in the past about pump failure on the TT's. If you do a search on them, you will find them.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

regardless of posts, I've heard of this too. How long should a hydro pump last, assuming normal use/abuse we throw out? why is it some seem to last so much longer than others?

Dave

7. This equipment is way too exspensive to have this kind of stuff happen. You should not even see the whites of your dealers eyes for at least a couple seasons. Good thing you got Lawnsite to swap notes. I don't see how these companies can put out this stuff and expect us to take a hit when things go bad. Down time sucks, and for you in the beggining of the season no less! Class action lawsuits settle this kind of shananigines to make up for lost work$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Geev Um Brah! Thats what we say in Hawaii.

Aloha,
    P.Y.S.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As most of you know, I run Choppers, I put 2000 on one and traded it it, I put 2500 hours on one and sold it to a buddy. I now have 3270 hours on my oldest one and 377 on my 2001 diesel and I have never had pump problems.

From what I hear, the main problem with pumps is when changing hydro filters, getting air in the lines and they can quit in 10 minutes. Hydro systems are sealed so you shouldn't be getting dirt in them.

What company is providing the pumps for Turf Tigers? I don't think there are to many companies making them.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the more post i read about some makes of mower,the more glad i am that i got lucky enough to pick the one i did.
    tha noise is me running to find some wood to knock on.

10. Stonewall

Eric,

Scag's pumps are made by Hydro Gear which are supposed to be good from what I hear. My mechanic said the problem is not limited to Scag. They sell Toro as well. I don't know if Hydro Gear is on other machines.