1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 Types Of Trash !?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Nov 25, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

For the longest time i have had a personal debate about trash. I have finally come to a conclusion :

there are 2 types of trash.

1. Voluntary : The people that either live or work at that property and throw trash down and wait for you to clean it up.

2. Uncontrollable : Trash that is collected from passing litterbugs that dont care where their crap lands and have nothing to do with that property.

My conclusion is that starting in 2007 i refuse to pick up "Voluntary" trash. The way i figure it, if you dont care how junky you make the lawn or parking areas look then why should i ? I have a real hard time dealing with folks that will throw a cig butt down right beside the ash can. Or home owners that let crap fall out of their vehicle when they get out and say "well i will just let the lawn service get it, he will be here in a day or two anyway."
  2. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

good conclusion. same thing with dog crap they think the lawn guy is going to clean it up. well i got news for them if they think im going to pick up their dogs poop for free they better find someone else to mow their yard. i have one lady i mow for she expects me to clean up her trash that she throws in the yard and to clean up dog poop in her yard i dont think so. her dog is so bad i barfed at lest twice just mowing over by it. i think i will charge her for trash and poop
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a commercial account I maintain which has a "break" area outside for its employees. For some reason recently, an employee decided he'd just rather throw his cigarette butts on the ground instead of in the container.

To start with, I refuse to pick up cigarette butts. They're nasty as crap and are 100% "voluntary" as you call them, Befnme. Besides, a RedMax 8000 will blow them anywhere you want them.

Anyway, after a couple of times blowing them into the shrub area, I decided no more. Then, after a couple weeks, there were at least 100 or more butts. The employees there who I've helped with some landscape advice for their own yards started jumping on this addict's azz and the next thing you know; the area suddenly got cleaned up.

I'm with you, Befnme. There's a distinct line between maintaining a property and being someone's "trashboy". :)
  4. A.D Services

yep we have places to go stuff to do, what do they think we actually have the time to pick up their trash? thats just plain inconsiderate
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you feel about smokers these days. Best I can tell, about 8 in 10 toss their butts out the window or on the ground.

I saw one intersection in Portland, where the road to the left of the drivers window at the light, was so thick with butts, the pavement was covered like mulch. It was an actual layer.
  6. A.D Services

now thats just gross
  7. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I do some sanitation at a small park. I know what to expect and plan on it. At all other places, I judge by what I see as well. Dog crap; if its a problem I try to shoot it where it will be notice. Actually, if its really a problem that bothers me, the customer is the type that I don't want to work for anyway. I dropped one right when I first started for that reason. I had my boots and mower covered in it. I simply told the customer that I would be available to mow their lawn anymore. No problems, no arguments!
  8. KY Bluegrass 03

KY Bluegrass 03 LawnSite Member
    from KY

anyone ever just clean up the trash tack on 20 bucks at four weeks of mowing and add it to the bill. money talks you'll get their attention real quick and end your trash problem
  9. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

How are you going to tell if it is voluntary or involuntary trash? Are you referring to thinks like cigarette butts or do you mean all trash on someones lawn in general? Please explain.:)
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont pick up any trash i tell them I'm in the lawn care business not the trash business and if they want me to pick it up I'm going to charge them to make it worth my time and it isn't going to be cheap. One thing I have learned over the years is that when you go out of your way to do those little extras like pick up trash,take the newspaper from street to there door,etc then they start expecting everything you do for them for free. I make sure i do the best cutting,trimming,edging etc for a certain price and anything i do after that is for a fee, and not for free and my customers respect that.