1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

!2 volt hookup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bob, Jan 14, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I need a good place to tap 12 volts of power for my radar detector. I want to run the wire along the drivers "A" colum,down to the parking brake area. I've got an 02 Chevy CC.
  2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

You've got to be kidding me. Who uses those anymore..
    I have not seen one used in 11 years...
  3. bob

from DE

I feel naked with my Passport. It's saved me countless times.
  4. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

For a quick fix:

Go to Radio Shack or a truck stop and get a duel outlet power adapter for your cigarette lighter or power plug.

5. bob

from DE

Thanks, but the truck comes with 3 outlets. I want to run a hard wire.
  6. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Hi Bob,

If the 02 Chevy has a fuse block under the dash take a test light and find an unused spot that’s hot only when the switch is on. Get a spade connector that’s the same size as the fuse spade crimp it to a fuse link. Run your hot wire up through the dash and behind the A column trim panel. While you have trim panels off find a place for the ground wire and make sure to sand or scrape off the paint crimp a ring connector to the ground wire and screw it to prepared area.

Mount your equipment test it out to make sure it turns off and on with the switch, replace trim panels and you should be ready to go.