1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2 vs. 1 wheel sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fishinman22487, Jan 20, 2007.

1. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I'm going to be buying a 48' Exmark Turf tracer soon!! I need some opinions on a new sulky. My dealer is pushing the new 1 wheel sulky Exmark sells, I just cant see paying about 350 bucks for a 1 wheel sulky. I do like that you can flip up the sulky and hang it from the mower.

I can get a two wheel sulky for $250. One of the negatives about the 2 wheel is there is more bearings and when they wear out, their very expensive to replace!!

Does any own the one wheel sulky?? How do ya knees feel at the end of the day?
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the one wheel sulky is more tiring ti use and the bushings wear out pretty fast . my next sulky will be 2 wheeled
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I found that the one wheel sulkey was easier to use if you needed to step off and walk beside the mower. I found it was better as far as getting it hung up when you backed the mower up then a trailering two wheel. They seem less likely to get torqued and bent then a two wheel, and they hang up easier for trailering. I hate em.... I hate the line they leave, and the impression they make on soft soil.

The two wheel are more comfortable, more stable feeling, but if you have a hydro you will find they get hung up, or jack knifed. You may consider a castoring sulkey like the bull rider with a hydro. They make you long, and you loose some of the manuverability in tight spots, but it is a superior unit.

You could also look at a proslide.

There are mixed opinions on all of them, but any of them are very valuable if you are mowing large properties.

Good luck
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have small lawns, id go with the one wheeled, its a bit easier to manuever and step off and such...good luck.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a Velke 1 wheeled sulky and feel fine after a full day of cutting. it is easier to make sharp turns without rolling over flower beds or bumping into obsticals like walls and curbs. Takes up less space and weighs less than a 2 wheeled sulky. There are many brands of sulkies and they all have their pros and cons so make sure you look around before purchasing.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got the one wheeled Exmark standon on my TT.

I like it, and I do agree that it probably gets in the way less when I have to jump off it.

Also, I believe there is less resistance when going backwards. If I stiffen my legs and ankles up a bit, it won't jackknife when I back up.

I do agree about the line it leaves though. I don't like that.
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think the 1 wheel sulkies leave a funny looking line behind you when you mow...kinda like youre dragging something.
  8. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I'm 260 pounds. Therefore I like my weight distributed over 2 wheels rather than one. That line the 1 wheeled sulkies leave in the turf is extremely noticeable.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I used a one-wheeled Velke behind my Exmark 36" Viking for a few seasons. But, I left it on the trailer on the better lawns, and walked because I did not like the line down the middle.

I then bought a ProSlide -- didn't work at all, sold it after one week of use. My mower was too small to use a ProSlide.

I then bought a two-wheeled sulky, the BullRider. I intended to use it in caster mode, but quickly learned my mower was too small to use it in that mode. It exhibited the same characteristics as the time using the Proslide. However, when I switched to the trailer mode, it worked great. The wheels track behind the mower wheels so no single line down the middle of the mowing pass. However, the wheel tracking with the sulky right behind the mower wheel is sometimes very heavy, especially when the ground is wet.

I would agree with the above comments regarding the one-wheeled sulky in handling the mower. It is easier to jump off/on, back up the machine, etc. However, riding the two-wheeled one is much easier on the legs. I do not use my one-wheeled Velke any longer.

Having used both sulkies for several seasons, I have never replaced anything on either of them, except the bushing on the tow bar (one-wheeled Velke), and fixing a few flat tires (thorns penetrating the wall). No bearings have been replaced on either one, and they are fine to date.

I would never recommend a one-wheeled model because of the line down the mowing pass. To me, that was a huge problem for quality of result. I know of nobody in my area who continues to use a one-wheeled model, except one LCO. And, he runs very old belt-driven machines, and really does not care about what the finished product looks like.
  10. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the replies!! I'm most likely going with the two wheel sulky.
    I too am not a huge fan of that ugly one wheel sulky line.