2 vs 16 what was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by locutus, Jun 15, 2004.

1. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have made my mind up to go with the Redmax 2600 trimmer. I had toyed with the idea of a Stihl 4-mix until it dawned on me that 16 moving parts absolutely cannot outlast a piece of equipment with 2 moving parts. It defies logic to think otherwise. What the hell was I thinking.

P.S. I still like the way a 4-mix sounds.

2. locutus

from NC

What? Am I the only one with similar reservations?

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well as you know, most any 4 cycle air cooled motorcycle engine will out last a 2 cycle engine by a margin of 5 to 1. I think the string trimmers will have the same results.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely not, Locutus, I'm with you all the way, But there are at least 3 moving parts in the 2 stroke, crank, rod, & piston. LOL! I heard a 4 mix and thought it sounded terrible, maybe it was damaged cuz it was REAL loud as well. I love the sound of two strokes though, I wish my wife's car was 2 stroke!!!

5. locutus

from NC

I would agree with you except that normally a 4- cycle has its moving parts bathed in oil rather than a thin mist of gas mixed with oil passing over the moving parts. This has to make a difference. Dont you agree? Lets compare apples to apples.

I hope I am not misunderstanding you. Are you saying that because now a 2-cycle engine has more moving parts it will last longer or are you telling me that a 4-cycle engine with less direct oiling will last longer?

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4 stroke is running at half the rpm that a 2 stroke is for the same horsepower. I have been using a 4mix for a year now. It has never missed a beat. I guess I will know how well its going to last by this time next year. I have not had a 2 stroke trimmer last more than 3 years yet. I like the way the 4 mix runs and sounds. I just wish they were a little lighter.

Hey TXLAWNKING,,,I bet you are one of those kids that has a 4 cylinder car with the FART can for a muffler.:laugh:

7. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

i tried a 4 mix and hated it back to echo for me it sounded like crap it was heavy and has a tiny fuel tank but thats just my 2 cents

8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Check out some lightweight (and good fuel capacity) 4-strokes at www.robinoutdoorpower.com They run great; only downside is that parts are sometimes not as readily available as the better known brands.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Specialty I wish I was a kid at 31 and no HER car doesn't have the "fart can".

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

"Fart can" never heard that before. Thats funny, But I guess that is what those goofy things sound like.