2-Way Radios

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Been thinking about gettng some 2-ways for short distance communication. Was looking at eXRS as a possible solution.

Please share your thoughts and experience with any-all 2-ways.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

We use Motorola FRS. Great for even larger sites. Go rechargeable for less battery fuss. Take them on trips with you too!

3. Get a remote.:)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: That is not what I want to use them for. Hoping to find something that has the capability to communicate between job sites over several miles without having to resort to cell phones.

I guess it could serve as a cheap 2-man irrigation remote control. :clapping: ::ducks and runs from the Pro Max snobs::

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most contractors here use Sprint/Nextel with the radio. I did for years, but they went downhill with Sprint.

6. Big Ditto. One reason I dumped them and went IPhone.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't able to use mine at my house once it went to Sprint, and nobody could explain to me or compensate me. So I went to Verizon, added phones for my girlfriend and mom, and STILL pay less than just the two phones with Nextel.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Looking for a subscription free option with an effective range of 6-7 miles, although from what I have seen for options, I'd be lucky to find one with an urban range of 2 miles.

The FCC GMRS license is an option since it is one time fee for 5 years.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they did go downhill witht the merger . I also have a verizon for backup and that hasnt impressed me too much either.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just went through this. We were looking at Motorola BP 40's, they are small, light weight and have a 5 watt power pack. But......they only lasted about 1 mile away. I was in a garage and he was about a mile away and he was all broken up. Unless you get on a trunking system theres not much that will reach out there more than a mile. And at 295.00 each for these Motorola's there just not worth it. My cheapy Cobra's reached the same distance at 130.00 a pair.