2 weeks in....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by robv60, Oct 7, 2007.

1. robv60

robv60 LawnSite Member

Sitting at 14 days since I seeded my lawn. I believe at this point most of the grass has come up. However I think most of the grass came up within the first week. Now, The grass looks good and thick when looking across the lawn, however upon closer inspection - such as looking down on the grass from my deck-its really not that thick at all. There are areas where grass came up good and thick with lots of new shoots and right next to those areas there are spots almost completely void of grass. To say it simply the grass seems to have come up "patchy". Is it normal for fescue to come up like this, did I do something wrong when seeding or will the grass eventually fill in the more barren areas? I just dont understand how it can come up so thick in one spot and hardly grow at all in a spot right next to it. When I put down the seed it went down pretty evenly, I know without question that there was plenty of seed put down in the thin areas. Granted I know I still have one more week before the 21 day germination period gets here but im not really seeing many new sprouts in these areas at all. Should I spread more seed and wait another 21 days for these areas to fill in?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

First question is WATER the second questions is did you broadcast seed. If you dont see any results try a tool rental store and ask for a slit seeder. Did you aeration this year?

3. robv60

robv60 LawnSite Member

I watered 2-3 times a day depending on if the ground was still moist or not for these first two weeks. Only watered once today for like 10 minutes. And was thinking of slacking off a little on the frequency of watering for this last week seeing as how I havent seen much new growth. I did broadcast the seed, got it on pretty even. I didnt core aerate because this was a total renovation. What I did do was kill of the grass,wait, tilled the entire yard and drug the dirt out to even it. Waited, killed what weeds came up after first tilling. Then tilled again 90* to the first till and drug again. Then put out some starter fert and broadcast the seed, lightly(and i mean lightly) went over the whole yard with a rake to work the seed in, covered with straw and have been watering so as to keep the soil moist. Had grass germinating within 3-4 days. I thought well maybe I put the straw on too heavy in those areas that didnt come up well and the garss got choked out, but there are areas where there is almost no straw that satyed moist where no grass came up either.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

How big are the areas without growth? Are we talking basketball sized or just a couple inches? Is this area full sun, partial sun or all shade?

You probably need more water also. I know if Athens is like we are here in Winder (Which I am quite sure it is since your water comes from the same place as ours).

5. robv60

robv60 LawnSite Member

Varying sizes up to maybe the size of a basketball, In full sun and partial shade, all over randomly dispersed throughout the yard. More water would be great, luckily Im just outside of Athens in Madison county and I have a well so....

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you know if you put the seed in the deep freezer before you put it down the night before it will speed up the germenation process. You might have to goe back over and re seed and spot seed till you get it.

7. robv60

robv60 LawnSite Member

I had read that somewhere. Seemed kind of hokey to me, but may be worth a shot. Grass got its first mowing yesterday. There were areas that were getting too tall so I went ahead and cut it-not too short, set the mower at 3 1/2" will cut it again in a few days to get it down closer to the rcommended height for fescue. Not all the grass actually got cut because some areas were alot shorter than the taller areas. Was bsically cutting the tall stuff back to give the short areas time to "catch up". Looked great when I got done except for the fact that I have wheel tracks from the mower where the young grass laid over and hasnt sprung back up. What should I do about this?

8. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Well watered grass should spring back after being stepped on within 5 minutes or so. This is an easy way to tell if the grass needs water or not.

9. robv60

robv60 LawnSite Member

I also have some weird weeds coming up, never seen them before, could they be from the straw? They are tall grassy weeds, growing singularly throughout the lawn. BOSTON BULL- Do you have a Boston Terrier or something, just wondering because I have a 5 month old Boston....