2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Aug 23, 2003.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I was reading the thread about double and triple cutting, started by willis, and I want to get something off my back, I am sick of a** holes that are rich and want their huge lawns cut every 2 weeks!, And it gets so long that it mats up and looks terrible no matter how much you go over it!, but they still want that perfect cut!!!?????

2. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

This one guys lawn takes me 4 1/2 hours total, and I only charge him 60 bucks!,
  3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him the situation and if he still wants every 2 weeks then you will have to charge by the hour. 4 1/2 hour I would charge between $155 and $175.
  4. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

Do not let anyone else run your business. You do things the way you want, if they do not want YOUR business, see ya!
  5. galagers

galagers LawnSite Member

I just got rid of a little old lady I had that needed her yard cut every week at a minimum, sometimes twice a week, but only wanted every two to three weeks. I finally told her either she needed a cut every week or I would have to go up on price to account for the extra time spent making the cut look good. The little old lady gave me the fixed income answer and asked about every ten days, I told her weekly. She told me she would call, haven't heard from her in three weeks and decided if she does call the cut will be three time her last rate. Kind of get tired of everyone else having money problems but the people who work for them are supposed to struggle instead. Sorry for complaining.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm dropped like 4 customers so that soul-reason. Why do I wanna do 2-3 times the work for the price of 1? Forget that, that's why I am self employeed, so I can call the shots, and not answer to anyone else but me:-D. Wow, that sounded self-fish, but seriously, they don't run my business, I do.
  7. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I'll agree with the above posts. I only cut my yards with a monthly agreement. They pay me monthly and in advance and I come by once a week. It's easy!
  8. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

I agree with Galagers, everybody has a story. GOD forbid the lawn guy gets an increase. The customer I'm mowing must get a raise once in a while. They all have big fancey cars & homes ! They watch you from their A/C window every week right on schedule, but can't afford a $20/ month increase!
    I think its B-S sorry just venting -Joe
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I think that really, if you are having problems like these with your clients it is your own fault to a certain extent. You should be able to explain to them why it should be done like you suggest. If you can't come up with a good enough reason why your way is right then you are in the wrong business.
  10. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I raise the height of cut on those 2 and 3 weekers, so they can see for themselves that it needs it more often. When they ask me to lower it, I tell them that this the proper height for the health of the grass. I also tell them that is is common knowledge for most types of grass, that you should only take off no more than about one third of the total height. This works about 50 % of the time.