2 wheel advantage w/ruts ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Apr 12, 2004.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I am currently using a one wheel velke. I am 210 lbs. The one wheel velke has worked well, however there were several days last year when the ground was semi-wet and the one wheel velke made ruts. I am wondering how much a 2 wheel velke will help w/ rutting. Would Jungle wheels help more than 2 wheel velke since the Jungle wheels have bigger wheels?

I do not want to spend another $200 (+) for another sulky if it is not going to make much difference.

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it will help alot.You will only have 100 lbs on each tire.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Two wheel is a lot better that's all I have no problem with the turf.

4. chris28

chris28 LawnSite Member

Might try the Wright Velke X2. Works well for me.

5. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I was told that the Jungle Wheels' have larger wheels than the Velke x2 , does anyone know if that is true?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I used a single-wheeled Velke at one time. Yes, it made ruts when really wet, but I didn't like the wheel mark down the middle. I now have a Bull Rider that is far superior. The wheels track behind my 36" w/b and it is much more comfortable to ride.

I didn't buy a Velke two-wheeled unit, nor Jungle Wheels because the wheels were too close together. The sulky wheels would have made two more sets of tracks. The Bull Rider spacing was best for what I wanted.

7. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I'm not worried about the tracks I just want to avoid the ruts. I appreciate your comments.

Kw

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Two wheel. They just roll easier, too. One big advantage, is that there is more room to stand. You can move your feet around a little bit, so it helps greatly.

9. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Thanks for comments Runner.

KW

10. Grass Groomer

Grass Groomer LawnSite Member

Jungle Wheels spacing works perfect for my 36" w/b. No extra tracks in the turf. I havent noticed the jack-knife effect as bad on the two wheel as bad as on the one wheels I have tried. I've known a lot of guys who have gotten hurt on the one wheel types. The comfort level of the jungle wheels alone makes them worth it.