2 Winter Fertilizations?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by l3en007, Nov 28, 2007.

1. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

We just got done our last fertilization of the season. Does anyone fertilize in JANuary and Febuary up here in the north east? Ive heard rumors of a landscaper around here in New Jersey fertilizing in the dead of the winter. This same persons lawns are perfect looking all year long too..

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they are perfect looking, it isn't because he throwing down fert. in the dead of winter. That is just foolish.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I put some fert out on a small area in early January. The only reason I did it was because temperatures were in the upper 50s, if I remember correctly. I saw a noticable and positive response! Of course I wouldn't consider charging and applying fert on my customers lawns at this time; But I might on my own lawn if temps are warm enough and I thought the turf looked like it needed it.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

could greatly increase disease pressure, especially snow molds

5. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

perhaps a granular fungicide app on troublesome properties,
    but i cant see fert apps.

though it is tempting to do something when the temps
    are in the 50s-60s in jan.
    saw an irrigation company pulling pipe here in MA last jan.
    wierd weather.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but he was talking Jersey. Like with frozen terra.

7. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

haven't had a good snow in south jersey for 3 years now. We are near the ocean and stay a little warmer then Pa and north Jersey

8. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

for all the feedback guys!

9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hang on guys: He (landscaper in Jersey) could have lots of time and putting down some extra potash as 0-0-7 to help the root system, would not be a bad thing or he could be putting down some pellatized lime, but on the coast where the soil is already too alkaline don't seem right. Or he could be spreading some wood ash to bring down the PH. There's lots of things people do when we see them out there is the dead of winter fertilizing the yard. Give'em a break, but I'd be curious