2 wire issues

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by IRRITECH, Nov 14, 2011.

1. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who work on these systems, what are the most common problems? I understand the concept and have been in Tucor classes, just never have installed any. Installation issues would be of the most interest.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I went to Tucor school and found them to be at the top of the heap. I came real close to going two-wire on some megas, but passed because I just did not trust the technology at the that time. These days, I'd look at two-wire real hard, especially if expansion was contemplated. My buddy, Russ, has a few in service and likes them a lot, though they are only a few years old. The trick, as I see it, is to pay as much attention to wiring as anything. (No King "blues") I do believe a clamp v.o.m. is needed to troubleshoot these systems. If I had a mega on the books, I'd go Tucor and find a way to include their remote in the budget.:clapping:

3. If you already have a Rain Master remote then go Rain Master Controls and Baseline decoders.

4. Mike Leary

If you want to hype anything, REP, post a link. :hammerhead:

5. You hyped Tucor no linkee

6. Mike Leary

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest installation problems I see are poorly done wire splices and wiring insulation that is nicked down to the wire when the outer jacket is cut off.
    I use these UF Cable Strippers to cut loose the outer jacket. Takes a few tries on a scrap piece of wire to get the hang of it.

Failure to do a correct as-built drawing showing the locations of the decoders, surge suppressors, any additional splices, and the wire path are another problem I've seen.

8. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Wire splices are key in a two wire installation. 99% of the problems are associated with wire splices and decoder connections - trust me, I have seen a lot of these installations around the country and beyond. Baseline makes a decent system -especially for add-ons where you can go hybrid using conventional and two-wire. If I were installing a new system today, I would look at Baseline as well as the Rain Bird LXD. Tucor is ok, though the controllers are a little harder to program. LXD is easy to program and has a lot of nice features that came from the minds of contractors - pinging decoders, bar code scanning for decoder info input, flow monitoring, modularity, and the cost isn't out of this world.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Rotor_Tool

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Rotor_Tool