2 x 3' Walls vs. 1 x 6' Wall (Mortarless)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by chooch, Nov 18, 2007.

1. chooch

chooch LawnSite Member
    from WA, BE

Hello,

Just looking for some advice. I couldn't find any info on this but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for a loop hole to avoid permits/engineering but I would just like to incorporate some landscaping. Ultimately, the wall(s) will have to bear the load of a single parking stall.

I've read that a 6' x 36' wall needs to engineered but would two 3' x 36' walls, one set back 3-4', require engineering? I'm even considering three 2' x 36' walls. I was wanting to use Allan type mortarless blocks.

Thanks

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

To board of a question. A 2 ft wall could need engineering in the right circumstance.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Many variances, comm. or resd.? Check your local codes. I have many ab walls out there 6' and higher and didnt have them eng. due to local codes, my experience, and mainly training. I have used a ton of ab product and have spent a lot of time at there workshops and became a cert. ab installer. Neverless working with them closely i havent had to go that route yet. Also im in the mountain area, hard shale and lime stone we dont have to worry a lot about bad soils due to we are on solid rock in most places. A 6' wall is a major under taking and in most areas should be eng. In my area only comm. sites over 4' needs to be and i do 99% resd.
    mike

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You would have to check with the village/town, each is different. We have gotten away on alot of walls by doing 2 smaller tiers. Most towns want to see a 2' stepback on the second wall, meaning for every foot up you must go back 2'.

5. chooch

chooch LawnSite Member
    from WA, BE

It is a for a residential application. I had a quick chat with a local city inspector and he told me I can build up to 4' without a permit/engineering but he didn't specify application (amount of load it is bearing). I just don't want my car to end up in my back yard. I would prefer to build 2 tiers since I have the room for it. A 6' retaining wall isn't the most pleasant sight.

Thanks for the replies.