2 x 4 wooden edges?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by mikeb, Feb 25, 2000.

1. mikeb

mikeb LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone who only plows occasionally has ever tried using a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 as an edge on a blade when dealing with a surface that is sensitive? I realize you would have to replace the edge often, perhaps each time you plow, but 2 x 4's are cheap! Or would it turn to splinters before you got to the end of the driveway? Just wondering.......

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I don't think they would work at all. I think they would either split in half when the blade tripped. Or not really wear correct, because of the grain on the wood. Maybe give it a try and let us know.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Leave the wood on your house. For senstive areas look into a urethane edge. It will perform as well as steel, outwear it, and it wont harm gravel, parking garages, pavers. or grass.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

i agree with Dino

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah what they said.<p>Try it on a .5&quot; snowfall where you don't NEED to plow.<p>From my findings you do anything you can (if you plow for a living) and spend all you need to achieve 1.) Reliablity 2.) Performance when plowing.<p>Now, if you have a plow sitting around that pins on your truck that doesn't have ANY cutting edge and you just want to clear your own gravel drive, I'd give it a try.

6. Lou

Lou LawnSite Member

Mike B......Whatever size (2X4 2X6) that you can mount and BOLT. Prior to mounting, get a solid piece of angle iron, cut it to length, drill and mount to the wood, then mount to the plow. I like field expediance.If you haven't got it, and can't get it, improvise.This may work. If it is hard to come by a factory urethane blade, and you need something soft, try bicycle tires. You can plow on a deck with those.If you dont think that will work, use your imagination.<p>Lou<p>L

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

if area isn't too big, could try these ideas & use a garden tractor with plow. Lots lighter & that'd be much of your problem is weight of the unit digging in to your surface.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>