20 acre cemetary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmarkhp, Apr 1, 2004.

1. exmarkhp

exmarkhp LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be on a 20 acre cemetary. I figure that it will take me a good two full days (15-20hrs. one person). I figure at least $500 per time but i'm not really sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

How much weedeating is it and what are you cutting with? 15-20 hrs is alot of time!

3. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Run as fast as you can from it.
    It will take you twice as long as you think if there are very many stones.

4. exmarkhp

exmarkhp LawnSite Member
    from Maine

theres alot of stones probably close to a thousand. I'm using and exmark lazer z hp 48", john deere gt 245 52", echo weed wackers, lawn boy push mower. I'll buy a bigger mower if thats what it will take but i think i should be all set. it probably will take longer than i think, because 20 acres is quite big with that much weed wacking.

They already had a quite 12000 for one year weed wacking and mowing only and they turn him down and told him his nuts but i bet thats about reasonalbe.

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you need $500 per day to make a living!

6. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

We have around a 15 acre cemetary here in town. It takes about 40 man hours to complete. $1300 each time mowed.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a SEARCH on this site for cemetery. You will see several posts and I believe a majority say don't do it and it will take a lot longer than you think.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

We have a cemetery up the street. My friend mows it as an employee of the church. It's about 10 acres and takes him about 35 hours. So, 20 acres would be closer to 65/70 hours. $2,000 a cut would be about right. Remember, there's a ton of weed wacking that you would/should take a break while doing, if you want to keep your arms. Also, you can only mow so fast because the graves stones force a slower mowing speed.
    Rule of thumb I've found after 20 years and two cemeteries is, figure $100/acre for complete cutting trimming and blowing.
    DP

9. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hey exmarkhp where is this 20 acre cemetary? I think it might be a little more than you can handle. maybe with a little more experience you could but not right now.

10. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

I mow 9 cemeteries and 20 acres is going to take you way more than 20 man hours!!!!!!!! Its going to take you at least 15 to 17 man hours to mow if its pretty full of head stones and it will take you at least that many man hours to trim it out. I usually figure what it takes to mow and double it to account for all the trimming. 20 acres for us would cost between 20 to 24k a year 20 if its a newer one. Older cemeteries are a pain in the a$$ so charge a little more.