20 acres BAGGED ???? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerpower, Jan 5, 2005.

1. mowerpower

mowerpower LawnSite Member

Now the people with the 20 acre soccer complex want "all grass clippings removed" however we decide to do this is our choice. How many ways are there besides bagging ? What will we do with all this grass ? Now how much do we bid (this is alot more work) ? Any input you guys can give me will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! I'm mowing with 2- 60 inch choppers, once a week .

2. hockeygoalie

hockeygoalie LawnSite Member

Are you throwing it now, or mulching it? Mulching it every 4-5 days would look nice.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Trac Vac offers some 50 cubic ft bagging trailers designed for ZTRs you might want to look into that. What ever you buy if your going to bag this place has to hold allot or you will be emptying the thing every 3 mins. I think there price just went up.

4. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

i would recomend gator blades with an ultra vac system, if they make one for dixir choppers. Good luck and you get the award for the most bagged. Maybe if u raise the price enough they will decide not to have it bagged

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

You had better have a truck loader follow you around when you mow!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

...as in ballistic, huh Kelly.

We mow 2 private polo fields. They're very much like a soccer or another type of athletic field in that they have to be kept very short. And they get a lot of use from having 8, 1000 lb. horses at a time running around for 2 hours at a clip tearing the field up. They are approximately 10 1/2 acres per field (and we have been doing them for years too btw).

We tried bagging in the beginning and it was a nightmare to say the least. It was just too damn much work and we were even allowed to dump on site. What we ended up doing was talking both owners into letting us mow twice a week. It works and everyone is happy. BTW, be glad you don't have to put up with the hoof prints made by the horses. What a pita that winds up being.

Hope that helps some...

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mowerpower

Don't run out and BUY any equipment just yet. The price to Bag a 20 acre complex is more than likely out of their budget. Now something tells me this is a committee that is asking for the bid price. I would Highly recommend a double bid, one with bagging and one without bagging. Having worked with Committees over the years I can tell you what everyone already knows about them. They have unrealistic dreams.

Anymore when I get requests for bid for what I feel are for unrealistic services, I don't waste my time bidding on them. However on a 20 acre site it should be worth your time to at least bid the Bagging part. But don't expect to get it.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rodfather

How do you keep grass on a Polo Field? Been there and done that, no answer required. All I can say is Polo Fields are the biggest challenge in Turf Maintenance. Hopefully your cool season grass stands up better than 419 Bermuda.

BTW Polo Fields generally have a much bigger budget than soccer field.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're right there Ric. Both of these gentlemen are millionaires many times over. I know for a fact that one of them spends over 20 grand a month just on playing polo (trainers, maintenance, vet bills, feed, etc.)

Well, I know polo is real big in Florida and don't know much about 419. The cool season grasses we have do rebound pretty quickly up here. Man those hoofs do tear up the turf. What's funny is seeing about a dozen or so guys (I won't mention their nationality) on Mondays out with their buckets and shovels filling in the holes made by the horse's feet. Then a couple of times a year they will have this big paving contractor bring in one of their large double drum rollers to smooth out the fields.

It's amazing...

10. mowerpower

mowerpower LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any idea what kind of price I should give them for bagging this much grass ?