20 acres for $200??!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dunlaps LawnCare, May 25, 2008.

1. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

We had a spring clean up job earlier this year and found out that the guy who mows the lawn charges $200 a week for 20 acres!! The guy wanted us to give him a bid, but we didn't have a six foot deck on our mower so he then decides that he will keep the guy he has. Then he asks for a bid for his other house, which has a much smaller yard, only about a half acre. He signs the contract and tells us to hold off on doing anything there just yet. The leaves hadn't been done. A couple weeks ago we were driving by and saw the other guy there doing the leaves. Called the owner of the house and he says that we don't have to do it, that the other guy is, but he will have other work for me. :hammerhead: I reminded him that he has a signed contract for us to do it, and he just acted like oh well. I don't even want to know what this other guy is charging for the smaller yard. Sorry, but i was just sitting here thinking about this and thought you would like a good laugh. :dizzy:

2. Hardee's Bush Hogging

Hardee's Bush Hogging LawnSite Member

$200 would barely cover my fuel costs to cut 20 acres.:confused:

3. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

$200 for 20 acres would not even consider getting out of bed.

4. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell the guy to hit the road. You shouldnt waste your time dealing with someone like that, move on to someone who dosnt hammer you on price and will give you all of thier extras, that is where you will make you money , not cutting thier grass.

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

10$ an acre ?? Now that's what I call EXTREME LOWBALLING. Or more like slavery.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

At $10 an acre, I would be subbing out a lot of work to him, if he was any good.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

The guy is full of it. He either is providing all the equipment and fuel or he is paying a lot more.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A 15 foot bat wing mower can knock out some serious amounts of grass quick. 2 maybe 3 hours.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Sure and all of those that have those mowers (45-100k each) charge that little.

10. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

that guy would have to have at least a 4000 series deere tractor (or similar size) with a brush hog or finish mower and nothing less to make a penny. but even brush hogging 20 acres would run you about $300 i would think