$20 dollar yards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Jun 30, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been getting prepared to start my own lawn mowing business, buying equipment, and getting everything lined up. I have noticed that one of my neighors yards had been getting mowed by an LCO, and then another neighbor, and know yet another neighbor. I haven't publicized that I was going to start a business yet, so its no big deal, but I went over and talked to my neighbor to figure out how much this guy was charging. And he is charging my neighbors $20 dollars a yard for mowing, blowing, trimming. He uses all professional equipment. How can he mow for that cheap? Am I stupid for even thinking about getting into this business with a "pro" charging $20 a yard. (approx 10,000 sq. ft. yards) Heck when I was mowing yards growing up about 10 years ago I would charge $15 a yard. And I pushed my mower to their house! No cleanup or edging. I was planning on charging $30 for the same size of yard.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Keep in mind he is probably cutting that lawn in 1/3 the time you were with your push mower.
    10,000 sq. ft. is almost 1/4 acre. Are you sure it is that big?

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess its probably not that big, I am bad at guessing lot sizes. Its a normal neighborhood type lot. The kind of neighborhood where the houses are almost on top of each others.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

You are probably on target @ $30 a cut, trim, edge, blow&go. Maybe $27.50. Also, would your neighbor lie? I don't care if it's done in 5 mins. I'd still like to see a minimum of $30 for almost any prop. Reason being: Fuel. Driving and for my equip. Just my nickel.. If you fell it's a $30 prop.... It probably is.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We can do almost any average subdivision lot in under 15 minutes with two guys.. I have alot at $20 but we do several in one block and can knock out about 4 in an hour..

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with txlawnking, only if its your only lawn in the neighborhood..

7. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

////////////

I guess its probably not that big, I am bad at guessing lot sizes. Its a normal neighborhood type lot. The kind of neighborhood where the houses are almost on top of each others

///////////

This is going to be a problem ........

Your burden, your overhead, your price.

You'll need to know those.

After you learn how to estimate square footage.

..........and subtract non turf areas.

8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I had some 20.00 yards 10 years ago. I think cutting lawns is the only type of work that has gone down in price in the last 10 years.

9. perfectlawncare

perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

I wont pull my equipment off the trailer for less than $40.00. Thats why I buy those $10,000 lawn mowers so I can cut yards that take others 1 hr and only takes me 20min. I always ask my customers what is there time worth? Most customers say it takes me 1 to 2 hrs and I don't even do half of what you guys do. SO they are happy to pay $40. I always Edge, stripe, blow off everything and I always guarantee my work! Jump into the business, the water is warm!!!!

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, right now I'm far from busy like he probably is, IF I had several lined up in one hood' with no drive time( my goal) then Deffinatelly, I'd go down on price.:D