1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

20 dollars an hour!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by youngbuck, Aug 4, 2005.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

I have been cutting grass with commercial equipment for two years i had a partner last year but we decided to go separate ways i have 15 customers so it only takes me a day to cut so the leaves me the rest of the week to do nothing. for a few weeks i have been working with my neighbor who runs a crew for a guy that has 60 accounts. my neighbor makes 15 dollars an hour he was going to quit to go and work at sunoco starting at 13 with benefits well the owner called him into his house today and gave him a five dollar raise!! i know guys who have bigger and more accounts and don't pay no where near 20 an hour its crazy! dose anyone pay their employee's that much he has been working for the owner for six years. He started me a nine under the table.
  2. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

here we go.......
  3. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

20 an hour after 6 years years thats a decent amount for a good supervisor.. c
  4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Young buck says it all. Keep in mind that everything you post can be read by anyone and everyone so a little discretion goes a long way.
  5. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

LOL yeah cause the IRS is tracking him down right now. LOL
  6. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

sounds like "he" is doing a fine mentoring job
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

To each his own. Let him try itand see if it works out for him. I hope this guy has ALL his ducks in a row to be paying 20 bucks an hour. One crew doing 60 accounts. If this guy is paying your neighbor 20 an hour to be doing it legit, it would be costing him near 30. Now, doing mowing? I don't see the feasibility.
  8. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

ya the guy is lagit has an accountent and is liceced and insured

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

20 An Hour Could Be Legit ........
    I Have A Guy In My Area That Does About 275 Grand A Year In Mowing With Only 2 Crews. He Pays The Guys From Mexico That Can Speak English 12 To 15 An Hour ! And If They Have A Cdl He Pays Them Up To 25. He Also Does Hardscapes And Snow Removal.

So Dont Doubt So Quick............besides The Kid Never Said How Big The Places Are Or How Much They Pay Per Cut.
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

That was what I made my last year working for the man before I went on my own we did $20 an hour based on a 45 hour week of straight time so I made 900 a week salary. I worked 40-48 hour most weeks I did hit a clock so I knew when I was going over and would cut him off around 50 hours main reasons we went salary was why I would not mine paying 20 an hour there is no way I could pay 30 an hour time and a half and he felt the same way so we just eliminated that basically I made 30-35k a year for the last 5 years I was running a crew for a my former bosses landscaping company.

Now as to what I pay I pay a lot less most I have paid is 15 and hour and have been screwed every time not one guy yet who had even 10% of my talent and it was just flushing my money. So now I start every one at 11 an hour no matter what experience if they survive (and yes I do mean survive most don’t last the first day) then I build on them and as they get better they get raises if they do not get better they get no raises and eventually are shown the door. I can see paying a top guy 15-18 an hour to run a crew for me BUT the only way that will happen is from the ground up I want them to be virgins and I will train them eventually they are elite the best of the best. Every time I took on some one with 3-12 years experience I have been disappointed 10 years and no skills I have made guys in 8 weeks that were better then guys that came to me claiming 12 years experience hope that helps when will you pay some one 20 an hour all I can say is you will know when they deserve that do not pay it before that.