20 foot or 24 foot

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by farmboy52787, May 18, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Looking to get an enclosed trailer, and my local dealership has a 24 foot pace trailer and a 20 foot pace trailer on the lot. The 20 foot is more expensive because it has upgrades and the 24 foot is $1800 cheaper because it is a basic model. I am going to mount my debris loader on the tounge so i cant use a V-nose style trailer. Just wondering if 24 foot would be too much trailer for me. I have a 16 foot landscape trailer now that is hard to keep all my equipment on easily and i want something to protect all the equipment from the weather. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I don't believe I've ever heard anybody complain about having too big a trailer. Unless it was somebody with a 40" travel trailer.

3. farmboy52787

any other feedback...

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I went from a 16' open to a 20' enclosed about 2 years ago. If I could do it again I would get 24'. Btw I love the enclosed, would not want to go back.

We still use the open for mulch, and debris remowal. We put 4' plywood sides on it all the way around, works great.

What will you be pulling it with?

Oh, ours is a pace also. Good luck to you.

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have an 18' pace summit, id love 2 more feet, 6 more might be alot turning around but at $1800 cheaper i might go that way

6. farmboy52787

Yeah these 2 are both Pace American. I'll be pulling it with my new 2008 GMC 3500HD Diesel Dumping Rack Body so it will have no problem pulling that. It doesnt even feel my 16 foot landscape trailer that i currently have. I believe they are both the car hauler models, one is a pursuit, the other begins with an S.
    Going with an enclosed will be so much better because i can hang stuff on the walls, keep things dry, have a place to pee, not worry about the State Police, I can keep all my tools and everything and wont have to worry about losing them on the interstate, and it will be a moving billboard for my business!

7. Like you I am in the same boat, except I am planning on ordering a 7 ton equipment trailer here in the next week. 20 or 24 is the ?
    I plan on making 4 foot solid(square tubing with sheet metal) barn doors on one side in the front so I can haul pallets(side gate on the other) . Then running the side walls all the way to the back gates. By having the tall sides I will be able to haul mulch and topsoil, not to mention advertise with graphics on the other side. Then I will be Fabricating my auger in the neck and hanging the tiller over the wheel well. My goal is to be able to haul my dingo, attachments, wheel barrels, tools , plant material, mulch, and what every else I need to do a job in one trip.
    So with all being said what would you guys do .............?
    20 or 24 foot..........
    Thanks for all your input too.
    Lou

8. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have a 20' enclosed and sometimes it gets a bit tight in there. Pulling it around isnt a problem just something to get used to for the first couple days. I would almost think if you were in an area without tight roads and such i would go 24'

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

It would just depend on your area. This past week I was using my F450 with my enclosed behind it and got into a tight coldusec.I know have a nice ding in my trailer where the truck hit it. I would love to have a bigger trailer but that was just a reminder of how much more of a pain it would be too.

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you hauling? You can fit 3 Zs in a 20 footer. What do you mean "not worry about the State Police". If you get pulled over, they'll be snooping inside and out. :cry: