20' hemlock

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcb828, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bcb828

bcb828 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants his hedges trimmed but also wants two(2) 18'-20' hemlocks trimmed as low as possible.
    I told him the low hedges no problem but I don't usually handle shrubs that have become trees.:D
    Can they be brought down to a controllabe size w/out damage to the tree?
    I have the tools but want to provide good service.
    Should I refer him to a tree Co.?
    I would rather say no now than wish I had later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

If I am hearing you correctly he wants the height of the hemlocks brought down. If this is the case it would involved cutting the leader. IMO once you cut the leaders on hemlocks, white pines, and trees like that they never look good. They will grow back but will have an offset leader. Hard to explain but picture this
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I would never cut the leader on a tree like that. You can shear around the edges to make the circumfrence a little smaller but IMO dont cut the leader unless you have to for power lines etc.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

One word...............Chainsaw.
    Cut them off at about ten feet and they will stay more as a screening hedge rather than a tree.
    Hemlocks are not shrubs,they are indeed trees.

4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Once thet get that tall they are a pain! I just trimmed hemlocks 11-15 feet tall today. They can be trimmed flat across the top. But I would not cut more than 2-3 feet off the top in one trimming. The leader will split into two leaders.
    You can do what dvm suggested if the tree is healthy. But they will look real bad for at least 3 years.
    I do not know the rules in your state but at certain height in my state you need to be a licenced arborest. Crazy aint it?
    What equipment do you plan on useing?

5. bcb828

bcb828 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I didn't think there was any good solution.
    Maybe some replacement shrubbery?
    I don't think a flat top will do the trick.
    They just went to long w/out maintenence.

6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hemlock on the side of my house, we have a guy spray it due to the disease wooly something that infect the tree, the guy who is very reputable said the hedge could be brought down 3 feet, without any damage. SO I would bring a chain saw and some hedge trimmers with you, and the new branches will grow back by next year. I have to trim mine every year its about 15' tall now, i jus take it down about a foot and were happy with it, I'll snap a picture of it tomarrow for you, its really long too.

Jeff

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Wooly adelgids.........................