20 hp.kohler blowin oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by steve225, Jan 3, 2006.

1. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

I just bought a TT60" w\ 20 kohler . I look down on my fisrt lawn and see oil gushing from the front of the engine. Engine has 700 hrs. Used . I couldn't see where it was coming from the muffler was in the way . Anyone have any ideas what blew? I shut it down Instantly.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had my 20 hp kohler give problems back in August, it was a blown breather gasket, its located on the block between the 2 heads. Its a warrranty recall on the engine, the gasket is about 5-10 bux and a good days work to replace. I will see if I can dig up that thread.Maybe restrob can shed some light on this also

3. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

GC Fool was yours a vertical shaft for walk behinds? If it's a factory recall, Does that mean a dealer will fix it?
    Thanks , Steve

4. grass_cuttin_fool

Yes it was a vertical shaft engine a 2004 model,but is on a Scag tiger cub Z, here is the thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115999
    I fixed mine myself, I do most all my mechanic work just because a was a mechanic for 20 years prior to the Lawn bizz.Im not sure on the dealer fixing it, I think kohler has a 2 year warranty, may depend how old yours is
    wayne

5. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Thanks so much GC Fool I have a mechanic coming over Sat. to look at it but would have loved to fix it before than. I only have a few days left and can finish with my other mowers.
    I bought the TT 60" w/ 20 hp. for 2100.00 bucks with 700 hrs I thought that was a good deal?

Steve

6. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

G..C. Fool do you have to take the engine off to fix it?

Steve

7. grass_cuttin_fool

No I didnt have to take the engine off, Best I remember the airfilter, carb, and govenor linkage. The entire top shroud of the engine, dipstick will have to be removed, also the fan that cools the engine will need to be removed. Its alot to take off but its the only way that I know of. And again mine was a tiger cub Z mower and not a walkbehind. If it turns out to be that gasket and you replace it your self, it torques at 110 inch pounds NOT FOOT POUNDS

wayne
    ps : if there is anyway I can help ya I will, there are a few certified mechanics on the site for theese engines(im not one of them) and they should chime in soon

8. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Thanks, G.C.Fool. I might hold off till Sat. and let a real mechanic look at it.
    When I told him what happened he said there was a problem with that gasket . Said he's done around ten so far.

Thanks I'll check back after the weekend,
    Steve

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I done a Service Bulletin check and found nothing on breather gasket failures, But I'm not saying it couldn't happen. The first thing I would suggest is getting a can of engine de-greaser and clean the engine good especially around behind the carb. and the bottom of the heads where the muffler bolts on. Once clean and dry have someone start it up while you watch these two areas for oil leaking. I have seen more head gaskets blow at the oil return port and blow oil out at the muffler mount area than breather gaskets.

Good luck

10. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

restrorob, I'll put a little oil in the engine and try that tomarrow.

Thanks, Steve