20 hp Kohler engine Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PM007, Oct 31, 2007.

1. PM007

PM007 LawnSite Member

Summary: 2005 Cub Cadet
    Product: RIDING TRACTOR
    Model: Series 1000 LT
    Engine/hours: 20 hp Kohler (single piston) 31 hours

History: Before my engine died (Stalled), I noticed the engine was running rough (clanking sound every 5 seconds). I changed the oil, changed the spark plug (new and the correct one) and used fresh gas. There really was not much improvement but it ran

Problem: I was cutting the grass approx 30 minutes into the cutting the engine suddenly bogged down as if it wanted to stall. The engine was idling very slow and misfiring/backfiring a lot (Very loud bangs) then, the engine stopped (sounded like the crankshaft ceased). A hunch is that there is a problem with the carburetor or value? Not sure.

In conclusion, where’s the quality in this machine! I take care of my equipment. The only purpose I used this tractor is for cutting grass. I am very disappointed!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    ~PM

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With 31 hours it ought to be still under warranty?
    I had one with 2 hours on it threw a lifter, I hooked it back up and no problems since.

Likely some stupid assembly line mishap, something crapped out on it.

3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happen to me yesterday with my 20 HP Kohler, threw a lifter. I took off the cover, replaced lifter and tightened down. I have to replace cover now.

4. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

Have a dealer check it. There are some known problems with the Kohler Courage engine: shearing flywheel key & camshaft problems to name two.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just to clarify so not to confuse others, Don't you guy's mean your engines dropped a push-rod ?

6. PM007

PM007 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for responding. As for Warranty, my two years are up. At least now, I have an idea what's going on.

You know, when I was a young, a buddy of mine has 1967 Simplicity Landlord 10 hp, the dam thing still runs. The old engine chassis (verticle mount) were so easy to work on, no electronics to deal with, etc. Today were paying big $$ for junk (IMO).

~PM

7. bbahun

bbahun LawnSite Member

I still think that simplicity builds a superior lawn mower. You pay a little more for it but like they say "You only cry once when you buy quality"