1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

20 hp kohler leaking oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnchopper, Oct 22, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

its around the oil filter I couldnt tighten it when i changed oil I put a new one on and now the new one is leaking aswell. I wonder if i overtightened it???? or are there any other reasons?
  2. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

Take off the oil filter and check the threaded bolt it spins onto. Mine loosened up and i thought it was the gasket on the oil cooler. I touched the threaded piece and it had backed out, I tightened it . All ok now
  3. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

A few other things you might want to check out. The loose filter nipple that bligh61 mentioned is a good place to start. It's not very common but I have seen it happen. While you have the filter off checking the nipple take the rubber o-ring gasket out of the filter and check for any oil behind it. That channel that the o-ring seats in needs to be wiped out if you find any oil there. Also make sure when you tighten the filter down that the center part of the filter where the threads are isn't bottoming out before the o-ring makes good contact. I've seen some filters out there where the center part of the filter is too high and it makes contact and tightens up before the o-ring is seated good. Another thing is do you have an oil cooler on this engine? If you do and the oil cooler adapter is hard plastic then it could have a crack in it an that could be leaking. You can replace that hard plastic adapter with another one but better yet if that is what is leaking I would get a complete new oil cooler kit (Kohler part # 24-755-120S. That kit comes with an aluminum adapter and should keep you from ever having this problem in the future.
  4. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

ok, thanks I'll check that out:waving:
  5. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I just had to replace my oil cooler , never had it leak around the filter though.
  6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Another thought is: what are you using for an oil filter - the correct Kohler filter, or a cross from another company. Is it possible the cross reference filter is not as compatible as you believed? The correct Kohler filter is PN 52-050-02S.

You talked about possibly overtightening it. I have seen the center of a filter pull "through" when cranked really, really hard. There is no need to overtighten a spin-on filter. Oil the gasket or o-ring, spin it on, snug it up by hand only. Never use tools to tighten down a filter. The big fat rubber gasket or o-ring does the work for you, not excessive mechanical pressure.

You have likely done this, but make sure the gasket old o-ring from the old filter is not stick to the filter housing. Pretty obvious on a small engine liike this, but I have seen this happen on cars many times.

Let us know what you find!

7. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

I have seen them leak at the o-ring between the closure plate and crankcase as well - there is a dowel there.